wyeast 1272 optimum temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
what is the optimum temp for wyeast 1272? the web site says between 60 and 72 F thats kinda a big difference. what temp have you had success at? and if poss what were the estere's/ taste notes of that temp?

I just used this in a California Pale Ale. I don't have a swamp cooler or fermentation chamber rigged up in the new place, so I set thermostat in the house to 70*. Seems good, bottles conditioning now, but the green sample was well attenuated and no strong esters.

beergolf said:
1272 is one of my go to yeasts.

I like it in the low 60's.

Thank you ill set the chamber to 62 ambient and that should keep it in range during primary. -cheers

Low to Mid 60s (actual wort temp / not ambient air temp). If you ferment in the Hi 60's / Low 70s, you will still have beer, but it gets too fruity with all of the esters.

bobbrews said:
Low to Mid 60s (actual wort temp / not ambient air temp). If you ferment in the Hi 60's / Low 70s, you will still have beer, but it gets too fruity with all of the esters.

Thank you. Whats a good abient temp?

Yeah, low 60's is best for this yeast. I fermented 1272 in tub of water swapping frozen ice bottles and around 62-63F produces nice and clean results. Not as clean as 1056 though, slightly tart.

Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with an increased fruitiness. Or, ferment cool for a clean, light citrus character. Depends what you are going for...I've done the high and low side and there is a difference. Both are good just depends what you want...This is a great yeast!!!

I think fermenting lower accentuates the hop character. Fermenting warmer accentuates the yeast character and adds unwanted fruitiness to a clean, citrusy hop profile for example.

As I said, I finished mine at 70, nothing seemed off, the hop aroma was very nice, I think this yeast is a good team player no matter where in range you are. I washed out a really good looking crop to pitch this again in the future. If this ale conditions out the way I think it will, I may be brewing this one again.

Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with an increased fruitiness. Or, ferment cool for a clean, light citrus character. Depends what you are going for...I've done the high and low side and there is a difference. Both are good just depends what you want...This is a great yeast!!!

thanks man i saw this on wyeast website too. i was wondering if you had tried either way and what you liked more? might just stay mid range at this point. or is that a bad idea...

Mines in a bath right now at 62-64f and im thinking after vigorous fermentation is over i will stop adding ice to take it to 65-66 then remove it from the bath and finish the last week at 69-70.

Im dry hopping wtih el dorado which can be fruity. I like fruity sweet so well see how she goes.

Day 2 and my ice bath got down around 60 last night with too much ice. My bubbler has all but stopped but I'm still seeing yeast work and bubbles rise....has to be a leak somewhere.

I brewed an AG Red Ale w/ my daughter last week. We chilled the wort to about 64°F. I let the wort and yeast equalize in my ferm chamber to 66°F then pitched the yeast.
The carboys did rise to 68° during the first few days but now on day 6 there is still slow activity and the TP is holding @ 66°F.
I'll leave it at least another 4-7 days before going to secondary.

Why secondary?

Mines staying in the primary for two weeks. Getting dry hopped for 5 days after that. Then taken down to the basement for a 24hr semi cold crash to get it all to drop out. Secondarys are overrated.

Its day 3 and my krausen is already dropping out. My temps were really low 60-63 for the first three days. I pulled the ice bath an hour or two ago and airlock activity has picked back up. Is this normal or is it fighting something stronger? The little bubbles are left over from oxidation/starsan not infectious looking. Hmm...I'm wondering wassup.
IMG_20141224_164747521.jpg

I pitch around 64-65 then let it rise naturally to around 68-70, no problems so far. It has a wonderful subtle fruitiness to it that's perfect with hoppy beers. My go to yeast for black IPAs.

4 days and the krausen has dropped 80%. Still see co2 coming out of solution, flocculation, and no infection... I pitched a smack pack to just shy of 3 gallons. Did it still burn through all the nutrition at 60f??? Could it have anything to do with my grist?

I was afraid of the tartness of this yeast so I kept my ferment right around 62-64. I also didn't want it to be too fruity. The yeast never really finished after bumping it to 65 a few days later. About 10 days in, I took temp control off of it. The yeast ended up being really pretty clean, but a bit sweet since it was at 69% AA. 1.068-1.020. Guess i'll have to risk the tartness and try it at a higher temp.

Back