Wyeast 1217 West coast ipa.. Diacetyl??!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InityBrew

Reaction score
So I brewed an ipa 3 weeks ago

92% 2 row, 5% c60, 3% wheat
Og 1.070
Ibu 90 Amarillo Simcoe nelson

Healthy starter, quick starting fermentation, etc..

Fermented on the low end at 65 degrees for 3 weeks (added 4.5oz of dry hops after week two)

I was going to keg it today and pulled a sample to try. Finished at 1.010, but had a slight buttery taste.

I put my fermenter next to my wood stove and it is sitting at 68-70* right now. Will most likely keg tomorrow night and let the keg sit for a few days at room temperature before going in to the fridge.

Has anyone ever got diacetyl from this yeast?

Also, this beer is a murky mess.. Maybe from the hops, but.. it is listed as a highly flocculating yeast..?

Does it also have any sourness? Diacetyl, murkiness, and high attenuation (~86%) sounds like possible bacterial contamination.

Brewed three times with 1217-PC (re-using slurry.) The first was an American Wheat. Kegs almost gone, but no diacetyl detected. Never cleared, but I blamed that on 50% wheat and lots of late hops. The second is an English IPA that's conditioning with oak now. Tasted good at transfer to secondary. Again, no diacetyl, but it hasn't had time to clear. The third is an American IPA that's still in the primary. Took a whiff from the airlock. No butter (yet anyway.)

I'm hoping clarity won't be a problem with either IPA. The yeast dropped well in the first two, but I won't know how well until after cold crashed.

Hope you get some more replies. I'd be interested to hear others experience.

Racking now.

I Sampled and performed a diacetyl test and got nothing.. Think that the sample pulled yesterday had so much dry hop matter in it that it gave the beer an oily mouthful that I immediately associated with the D.

Also, not getting any sourness from the beer.

I am going to let the keg sit at room temp for a couple of days before crashing to see what happens. Will keep this thread updated.

1388956764247.jpg

1388956775068.jpg

I made an India brown ale with 1217, primary at 61 F for 2 weeks. Never raised it further before racking to secondary and bottling. So prob my fault, but I got some noticeable diacetyl.

I'd imagine that it would possibly go away with bottle conditioning... Right?

Either way, my Keg will sit at ambient temps for a few days before going in the fridge. I'd imagine that there is enough yeast in suspension to take care of the diacetyl

That's what I was hoping for, but no dice. I was very happy with the recipe but I def got some butter/butterscotch flavor outta the bottle. Next time I will def aerate my wort better and do a diacetyl rest just to make sure!

While my beer was a simple 1.050 pale ale (for purposes of harvesting yeast for future batches and to have a low abv brew on tap), I didn't taste any diaceytl in the sample... In fact, it tasted great. It should be carbed in about 5 days and then I'll be able to say more.

I always raise my ferm temps about 2 degrees every two days after pitching, if that makes any difference to anyone.

I just Sampled mine and it is going away. I have had the keg at 68+ the past two nights and will let it sit out until Wednesday.

Also, I made sure to purposely agitate the yeast cake when I transferred to my Keg just to make sure enough yeast came along.

Sampled again and the diacetyl is gone! Still cloudy, but tastes likely a tasty Simcoe Amarillo ipa now! I will leave it out for the night and put in the kegerator in the morning.

Diacetyl is gone. Just hoppy goodness. Has been in the fridge since Wednesday AM at 40psi and is tasting really good right now . Still needs a little time to finish carbing and for the yeast to drop, but damn is this good.

1389315393591.jpg

Love the 1217-pc. Haven't had any problems yet myself. I had awesome results with my Pearl Apollo SMASH, and my Apollo-Bot DIPA. Actually have another batch going right now using 1217 DIPA with Columbus, Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial. Can't wait.

Have not noticed any diacetyl through three batches of beer with this yeast. However if you start out on the low end of the range for this beer, maybe a d-rest at the end is needed. I have had better results fermenting on the upper temp range (72-74) with this yeast in terms of attenuation and had no diacetyl or other undesirable fermentation byproducts.

I did notice diacetyl with this yeast - made an of 1.055 hoppy APA with it. Appropriate starter (me. Malty calc'd), oxygen like I always do, and fermentation chamber with thermowell controlled by stc-1000. Temp was 67 for all of the two weeks. Sounds like I should've given this yeast longer since op's went away. Really didn't like this yeast at this temp.

Never had diacetyl with this yeast. I start it at 64 and ramp it up a degree every 12 hours and usually hold it at 70 for a few days after its finished fermenting.

Used this yeast quite a bit with no diacetyl issues. I typically used this strain around 68-70 F with no issues.

Just FYI this yeast is back out as a private collection strain for Oct-Dec. Go get some fresh!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bumping this to offer my own buttery experiences

So, I started a red ale off at 68F with a slug of this yeast from a 1st gen beer and bumped up the temperature to about 74 when it got down to the last 1/3 of fermentation to finish it up. Took a sample and it was a lot of diacetyl at the temp peak, and tasty beer underneath. I then let it finish over the next 4 days, and cold crashed for 3. Kegging tomorrow. All the D has cleaned up completely. This yeast definitely lets the hop flavors shine, I could pick out a lot of the elements from each hop addition I used. 2 days at 32 and it's almost crystal clear with just whirlfloc.

Back