Wyeast 1187 Slow/Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msppilot

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with using Wyeast 1187? I brewed a porter on Friday (almost 48 hours ago) and I am still not seeing any signs of fermentation. I know it can take up to 72 hours but I have never not seen any sign after this long. Let me run down a quick recap. I bought a porter extract kit of Thursday afternoon, got home and put everything away. On Friday morning (brewday) I went grabbed all the ingredients and realized I accidentally put the yeast in the freezer. I let it thaw and activated the starter. Still nervous that I killed the yeast, I ran to my local home brew store and bought another pack of 1187. I activated that pack in the store since I was going to start brewing when I got back home. Everything with the brewing processes was normal. O.G. was 1.056. When I went to pitch the yeast the pack that was in the freezer had expanded quite well and the pack I just bought was had still not expanded. I ended up putting both yeast packets into the wort added a blow off tube and put everything in the beer cellar. I just checked and I am still not seeing any signs of fermentation. The temperature is good right at 70 degrees. The only thing I can think of is 1187 is a slow starter. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Look up how to make starters (see sticky or one of the 100s of posts on that topic). Although you pitched 2 smack packs, the yeast count is still low compared to that of a good starter made from 1 pack. You need to start your starter a few days before you brew. Shop on Monday, start the starter and you're ready to pitch on your weekend brew day, or even before. Pay attention to cold crashing and decanting the starter.

Unless you use a stir plate, you don't need a fancy flask. A one gallon clear jug (<$5) works just fine.

Latest posts

Back