Wyeast 1056 American Ale - smack pack inflation at arrival?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bf514921

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
not sure if this belongs her or in the ingridients forum. just recieved my order of an ocktoberfest kit and pumkin ale kit. i activators for the yeast. for the pumkin ale activator, i have Wyeast 1056 American Ale it looks almost like its aready activated when it arrived. i did some research and found that it is a common problem for these yeast to "look" bloated in the packaging, but not actually be activated, i hadn't planned on making the pumkin ale just yet. when the yeast shipped , i shipped with the additional cold packaging.
1. has anyone else had this happen to there Wyeast 1056 American Ale

2. if so what did you do?

3. i am having a difficult time telling if the yeast is activated, or just gasy

1. Yes, my most recent batch
2. Proceeded as usual, smacking is a little trickier, but can be done
3. Let it up to room temp like you would on brew day, it'll get it's full swole on beyond any kind of doubt

It's common, it doesn't mean anything either way.

If you don't plan on using it right away, make a starter anyway, then store the yeast in your fridge in mason jars until you're ready to brew, then pull one out, make a starter with it, then pitch it as if it was your packet.

Must be a common problem with 1056 I received 4 yeast packets today. Two of them were 1056 and they were the only two that were inflated.

Probably make starters just to be safe.

I had a pack arrive bloated for a pale ale i brewed in May. Smacked, pitched, and had a really clean and fast ferment. made a great beer.

Back