Wyeast 1007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
029 is entirely different from 1007. Not as crisp and clean.

Bummer. Any other suggestions? Their inventory is pretty limited, but I know 029 is stocked. I can resort to ordering online, just like throwing them a little extra business on occasion

Thanks for the post an alternative!
I have a recipe that I planned on using 1007 for in the near future, but my LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast. Do you know if WLP029 the white labs equivalent? I know they carry that particular yeast. Not sure on the K-97.

WLP029 is no relation to 1007 at all. WLP029 is actually a lager yeast (Sacch. pastorianus) that performs well at warmer temperatures but even so it is still slightly fruity. 1007 is a true ale (S. cerevisiae) yeast and almost identical to K-97. The closest to 1007 that you can get in a White Labs product is probably WLP003 German Ale II. Mangrove Jack M54 Californian "Lager" is also probably equivalent. MUCH more info:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16XRUloO3WXqH9Ixsf5vx2DIKDmrEQJ36tLRBmmya7Jo/edit?usp=sharing

Bummer. Any other suggestions? Their inventory is pretty limited, but I know 029 is stocked. I can resort to ordering online, just like throwing them a little extra business on occasion

do they carry dry yeast?

As has been mentioned k-97 from Fermentis is genetically basically the and yeast.

what’s the recipe? What type of beer.

I'm definitely looking into the dry yeast. They do have some, but i'm unsure as to what types. They're definitely more of a wine place, but carry the very basics for beers as well.

I brew in series, and with the season. Also not much for following any real styles most of the time. I think with my next brew, I will be wrapping up my actual lager possibilities. I buy a new pack, then repitch slurry 1-2 more times. My plan was to brew up a really basic low abv "lager" type recipe with 2 row and some flaked corn to appease the father in law (but mostly to build up the yeast). Then repitch the slurry into a mid range mocktoberfest beer (roughly 40% pilsner, 40% Vienna, 20% Munich, minus a few % to make room for some small amounts of specialty malts) that I made and loved last fall, then finally a big dunkel type. Dunkel has yet to be created.

All else fails, I can grab 34/70 and test out the whole warm fermenting business. I'm limited in lager experience, but been fermenting them on the cold side. I'll lose that ability as spring approaches

Side note, i'm surprised that 029 is lager strain, while 1007 is ale. I'd have figured they were the other way around, based on my experiences with them.

I have a recipe that I planned on using 1007 for in the near future, but my LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast. Do you know if WLP029 the white labs equivalent? I know they carry that particular yeast. Not sure on the K-97.

I have made award winning alt with 1056.. Vert clean, ferments low. I have one fermenting with WY1728 at 55F right now and it's tasting great.

WLP036 is supposed to be the equivalent, as it is a Dusseldorf Alt yeast. Other suggest there may be differences and that it may not atttenuate as well leaving a breadier, maltier finish.

WLP036 is nothing like 1007. It’s actually more of a bread yeast than anything else.

Genetically WLP003 and K-97 are the closest available yeasts to 1007. 003 is never available though.

Just got a 2L starter going on the stir plate with 1007. I've had beers fermented with this yeast before but I've never knowingly used it myself. I'm brewing a simple Kolsch style ale and will be fermenting around 55F. Wanted to ferment it that low to see how it turns out. I have 4 full kegs in the kegerator so there's definitely time to ferment cold and lager this for a bit (plus gelatin of course). Depending on how this goes in the keg it may get a second dose of gelatin for giggles ;)

It's been 9 days since pitch and this is almost done. There's a very slight acetylaldehyde twang in there but that's cleaning up nicely. I'll probably wait until Thursday or Friday, rack to secondary to get all the good beer out from under the thick krausen, and lager/gelatin for a week or so. Ordering a floating dip tube this weekend and kegs are still full so all I have on my hands is time to hurry up and wait lol

Genetically WLP003 and K-97 are the closest available yeasts to 1007. 003 is never available though.

Just in case anyone's interested, WLP003 German II Ale is currently available on Yeastman (along with WLP022 Essex and WLP050 Tennessee Whiskey), so USians should be able to order it and non-USians should be able to ask a White Labs stockist to get it in.

Just in case anyone's interested, WLP003 German II Ale is currently available on Yeastman
And again, along with WLP009 Australian, WLP077 Tropicale (their non-transgenic thiol releaser), WLP603 Torulaspora delbrueckii and WLP686 Zygosaccharomyces lentus, with WLP091 Best Coast and WLP561 Non STAison in production

Latest posts

Back