WY9097PC (Old Ale w. brett) - Primary time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostBoyScout

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been debating back and forth whether to transfer my old ale (OG 1.100 with this old ale blend that includes some brettanomyces) to secondary soon, or let it sit in primary for a good while like I'd do with a typical sour / brett beer. It's been in primary 4 weeks now, and there are little floaties forming that I think are the beginnings of a pellicle. Part of me wants to treat it like a typical strong ale and get it transferred, and part of me wants to treat it like a brett beer and leave it in primary for a good while, maybe until bottling.

Would you let it ride out for a while in primary, or get it into secondary soon? I'm hoping to bottle in early May as I'm moving shortly after.

If it were me I'd leave it. I have no experience to back that up but I am kinda lazy and don't see how leaving it in primary would be detrimental.

I was wondering if anybody else was using this blend this time around. I know it's been released before, but I've had a hard time finding much useful information about it.

I'll probably just leave my batch in primary for the duration. Mine had a lower OG than yours, only about 1.072 IIRC. But I don't think that would make a difference in whether a secondary makes sense.

Thanks guys. That's the way I'm going for now then (plus other homebrewer friends have said the same thing). I will take gravity and feed it some oak cubes this week and then let it be for a few months.

Back