WY2352 Munich lager 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnomebrewer

Reaction score
I'm looking to try using a new lager yeast, wanting something that really pushes that malt in helles, marzens and dunkels. I'd like to use WLP833 (based on a lot of recommendations) but can't get it without paying exhorbitant postage (it'd end up costing me about $30 for a vial). In my searches, I've come across some WY2352 (from wyeasts private collection range, Oct to Dec), which is reportedly from Augustiner brewery, that I can get locally. It sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, but there seems to be very little info about it on the interwebs, and nothing (from my searching) on HBT!

Does anyone have any experiences or advice for using this yeast?

If you're able to store yeast after you're done with the batch, I'd recommend going for the 833. I've re-pitched it several times without any ill affects. It'll help you spread the cost and it really is a great yeast.

Have you tried 2308 if you can get wyeast? Its a good strain. I love the 833, but the the 2308 is also a great malty strain. Its a tad fussier than the 833, but if you have decent temp control, it shouldnt be an issue.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll fork out the $$$ for some WLP833. It sounds too good to not use.

If you can hold out for a few weeks, WLP 860 is a good strain for Munich Helles, it should be on the market again in March.

I have just used 2352, and I love it! I pitched big, pitched cold, fermented at the lowest end of the recommended range and produced maybe the best lager I've ever done.

After I'd bought it I decided to actually read some reviews on it before use and was confronted with people reporting excessive esters and diactyl, I found nothing but a clean malty finished lager.

If you can get it, I have no problems recommending it.

I just tapped a helles yesterday that I did with 833 that's been lagering for 6 weeks at 0C (32F). I pitched about 1 liter of slurry from a previous batch and fermented at 10C (50F) for 2 weeks (plus a D-rest). It may be the best beer I've ever done. It actually has the crispness of a professional german lager. It finishes much cleaner and crisper than a similar beer I did with 2124 (830), and others I've done in the past with 2308 and 2002. So far, 833 is my favorite lager yeast.

I've actually just ordered some of the 2352 with plans to do the same batch again to compare, I'm very curious as to how it will turn out.

If you can hold out for a few weeks, WLP 860 is a good strain for Munich Helles, it should be on the market again in March.

Interesting. Not much info on this one either - could it be the whitelabs version of WY2352?

I have just used 2352, and I love it! I pitched big, pitched cold, fermented at the lowest end of the recommended range and produced maybe the best lager I've ever done.

After I'd bought it I decided to actually read some reviews on it before use and was confronted with people reporting excessive esters and diactyl, I found nothing but a clean malty finished lager.

If you can get it, I have no problems recommending it.

I was surprised at all the bad reviews, given that it is the Augustiner yeast! I might give it a go side-by-side with WLP833 sometime in the future.

I just tapped a helles yesterday that I did with 833 that's been lagering for 6 weeks at 0C (32F). I pitched about 1 liter of slurry from a previous batch and fermented at 10C (50F) for 2 weeks (plus a D-rest). It may be the best beer I've ever done. It actually has the crispness of a professional german lager. It finishes much cleaner and crisper than a similar beer I did with 2124 (830), and others I've done in the past with 2308 and 2002. So far, 833 is my favorite lager yeast.

I've actually just ordered some of the 2352 with plans to do the same batch again to compare, I'm very curious as to how it will turn out.

I'd be very interested to hear how 2352 stacks up against 833.

Interesting. Not much info on this one either - could it be the whitelabs version of WY2352?

Yes they are both the same yeast.

I used the augustiner strain. It made fine beer. The beer had a little bit of a yeasty floral nose, but a clean flavor. It was odd. Overall I slightly prefer the the mouthfeel of 833 or 2308, 833 is cleaner, and 2308 has more interesting slight esters. The Augustiner yeast wasnt super flocculant, quick to finish, or anything else. So it was fine, but i mildly prefer 833 and 2308 (and 920). But its not a bad strain at all.

Can't say, and I have no idea if it's the Augustiner strain either.

I am however perfectly happy with WLP 860 and am keeping it as my go-to yeast for Helles and similar styles. I have gotten clean fermentation, good attenuation and flocculation from it and the results are perfectly in line with the commercial examples for the style. I do not claim to be a master taster or an expert, but living in southern Germany, beers like Augustiner, Tegernseer, Hacker-Pschorr or Paulaner are pretty much everywhere and one inevitably acquires a taste for how it's "supposed to be", and beers fermented with WLP 860 could fit right in, in my humble opinion.

Back