WY Thames Valley II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebas83

Reaction score
Hey guys. What's your experience with this yeast? I'm doing a bitter now and this thing is all over the map.

Pitched at 60. Free rose to 64 over 2 days. Got down to 1.018ish. D-rest at 68 for 3 days.

What I've experienced is crazy sulphur at the top and diacetyl throughout. It's all mellowed and seems to be cleaning up. So, I've dropped it low (58).

Trying to figure out my next steps. It seems to be a needy yeast requiring temp changes and a thorough d-rest.

How have you dealt with this yeast?

Thanks

I've used it in several batches so far. Granted I've not futzed around with it, or even looked at it until 3-4 weeks after pitching. Most of the time I would pitch lower than 60F, since the wort would slowly creep up towards that as the yeast started to get going. Often I would pitch in the 54-58F range with it fermenting in the mid 60's (might peak in the upper 60's). I would let it rest for a couple of weeks before doing anything with the brew. Especially since it sounds like your batch is under a week old... Give it 3-4 weeks and then sample...

Oh, and after that much time, expect a VERY compact yeast cake in the bottom of your primary. :D

Rock. Yeah, I'm at day 10 and down to about a point or two away from FG. Definitely going to let it sit for a while more and let it drop clear.

Did you experience the same high sulphur smells? What about diacetyl? How'd your end product(s) come out?

No idea on the sulfur and diacetyl since I didn't even go near it until the batches are 3-4 weeks post pitch. My brews ferment at my buddy's place, so I pitch, go home, then return 3-4 weeks later to brew again and keg the previous batch (if it's ready).

I used 1882 in my 10 gallon MO SMaSH recipe, which I kegged 3 weeks from pitching. No residual flavors or sulfur smells... Just plain great brew.

I've gotten to the point where I don't futz with my brews at all during process. I let them go for as long as needed before going to next steps. For moderate OG batches, that's 3-4 weeks later. For bigger batches, that's 6-8 weeks later. Some get moved to aging vessels and have oak, or other wood, added for additional enhancements. Those are also left alone for X months.

I have my latest brew in primary now, with 1882. I made a starter (I always make starters for my beers) and the mocha porter is just over two weeks post pitch. I plan on shifting it onto some oak, or adding oak, after either 4-6 weeks (probably 6) and then letting it sit for another 6-8 weeks before it goes to keg.

Best thing you can do, IMO, for your brews (and your sanity) is to learn patience with the batches. Once you're sure fermentation has started, and the temperatures are good, only check temperature until it's 100% done fermenting. Then leave it alone for X weeks before pulling a sample to get the FG and taste it.

Right on. You're probably right about the patience thing.

I do a temperature shuffle because it produces a better malt character. Especially with these types of yeasts. I've always liked a shuffle with London III and Ringwood (highly recommended with the Ringwood). I've heard the same with this one so I used a typical schedule for my brewin rig. But, what's new is the rotten eggs ;)

Since its my first time with 1882, I'm curious about what others have had to deal with.

Plus, it's goin to see my Munich 1/2IPA in about 2 weeks :) So, just want to know what to expect.

-S

I've heard of other yeasts producing that smell, but I've never experienced it in them. Maybe I'm lucky that way. I'll get to experience it all when I've moved and brew at home again. :rockin: Really itching to be able to brew on my schedule again. :ban:

I use this yeast a good amount - just kegged a nut brown earlier today that used it - and while 1882 is known to throw some diacetyl, I've never heard it producing sulfur. Weird!

One thing about this yeast is that it is very dependent on temp, oxygenation, and pitch rate. If you pitch too high with not enough yeast/oxygen, you will get a lot of diacetyl. It can also finish a bit high (F.G). I like to pitch a larger starter at around 62-64F, into a very well oxygenated wort and I'll try to keep it right around 64-65F for the duration of the ferment. At this temp, I almost never get diacetyl.

I would bring the temp back up towards room temp to let the sulfur dissipate and to try and clean up some of the diacetyl. You may have under pitched or stressed the yeast. Regardless, good luck with the brew.

Maybe I got lucky but I had a pretty easy time with this yeast. I didn't get any sulfur and just enough diacetyl. It attenuated much more then that for me and dropped clear for me pretty fast. I fermented at 68 for the first few days then dropped it to clear.

Made a couple beers with this yeast last summer. Ended up just hating the ones that did not get enough time in the primary--way too much diacetyl. Dumped the last few gallons of an English IPA after trying to choke down a keg of it over a period of a couple of months. Once I learned my lesson and did a long enough primary, the yeast was fine.

osagedr, how long did you give the first ones in primary? How about the ones you liked? The shortest I've give. A batch with that yeast was three weeks.

One thing I have noted with thames valley and thames V2 is that they take FOREVER to clear, even with cold crashing. Gelatin really helps me. When these strains are still in suspension I get a cloying bitterness to the beer that just isn't right. After the yeast is dropped clear, the beer is delightfull. My $.02

I just recently made a summertime wheat beer with it.......it turned out amazing. All 10 gallons were kicked in less than two weeks.

Permo, how long are you giving it in primary before forcing it to flocculate?? I've not had any clarity issues (at all) when giving it at least three weeks in primary. Most of the time i give it 4-8 weeks due to the brew being bigger. I've never cold crashed a beer and get very clear batches time and again. I simply give then enough time to flocculate before sending to keg.

Permo, how long are you giving it in primary before forcing it to flocculate?? I've not had any clarity issues (at all) when giving it at least three weeks in primary. Most of the time i give it 4-8 weeks due to the brew being bigger. I've never cold crashed a beer and get very clear batches time and again. I simply give then enough time to flocculate before sending to keg.

At least 3 weeks in primary. There isn't a ton of yeast still in suspension, but enought to effect the flavor and aroma of the beer. After two weeks in the keg it usually drops like a brick, unless of course, I force it to drop quicker with a fining agent.

That kind of explains why I've had no issue. I carbonate using the two week set and forget method. I used 1882 in my mocha porter brewed on May 19th. I plan to let it go six weeks in primary then oak it for a time before kegging the batch. This is a rebrew of a recipe with the first going a month in primary (lower OG) before kegging half.

Thanks a ton, guys! I'm looking forward to re-pitching this one onto my next batch.

I'll post again once it has dropped clear.

osagedr, how long did you give the first ones in primary? How about the ones you liked? The shortest I've give. A batch with that yeast was three weeks.

I think I had one as little as two weeks in the primary; it was a train wreck. The last one was really long, at least six or seven weeks and the diacetyl was gone.

Dropped clear for a week and went into the keg.

3weeks soup to nuts. Came out pretty nice!! Really happy with the yeast and malt profile. Low diacetyl, pretty interesting component, honestly. I think using a high yeast count starter helped prevent that diacetyl problem. Plus, I spent a week at 68 as a d-rest.

I think I'll do the session ipa at 62 and let rise and give it a 2-week d-rest.

Great yeast though! Just needs some finesse :)

Thanks everyone!

-S

Back