WTK: Cheapest 300 Micron Keg Dry Hopper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It clearly does not...

HTB16.PwPVXXXXa5aFXXq6xXFXXX6.jpg

How well do these work with pellet hops without mesh on the lid?

Could you attach something, say voile, or another fine material, inside to prevent hops from leaving the lid?

From how I see it, the lid would have very little benefit one way or the other In the intended use but hey what do I know?... Is there some reason you need mesh in the lid?

It does work well though and can say that. I have used them with pellet hops and there is plenty of surface area to get the job done.

How well do these work with pellet hops without mesh on the lid?

Could you attach something, say voile, or another fine material, inside to prevent hops from leaving the lid?

The lid has very small holes I don't understand what your asking? How would the hops "leave" the lid? There plenty of surface area for the wort to pass thru the sides and honestly that's all that matters. You didn't specify demensions so you don't have a special application for it so I fail To see why it would help at all?

Inside a keg, shaken to rouse the hops in the container, I imagine the mesh will contain the hop material while the larger holes in the 'shaker top' will allow the material to pass. This is like a re purposed cheese or hot pepper shaker from a pizza joint.

If it were kept above the liquid level, it may not be a problem.

I have a similar dry hopper from Utah Bio Diesel Supply with mesh in the lid. At $40 a pop, there must be a cheaper option.

i have one like shown above, i have never been able to find particles that may have escaped through the holes. they are not that big of holes. unless your using a large can for a very small amount of hops (which even then is a stretch) i don't see any functional difference. if you were that worried about it there are places where you can order a small sheet of woven mesh for a few bucks and protect the lid.

You can also look for stainless oil splash screens and just cut to size. You can get these at the local wal mart or target usually.

Does this thread or 'pop' on? I've been reading that many of these Chinese made filters have lids that don't stay on.

Back