WTF is up with Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugleBrew

Reaction score
So whenever I drink Apfelwein I always wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I over did it, regardless of how much I drank. When I normally get trashed, with no Apfelwein in sight, I usually just wake up the next day a little more tired than normal. Any time I drink AW, I wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I want to die. Last night, I had two beers, and an 8 oz glass of apfelwein (I don't drink it in pints like some of you crazy people. IT"S NOT BEER:mug:), and I woke up at 4am feeling awful. Last weekend I had two glasses of red wine and one glass of apfelwein, and the same thing. No other alchoholic beverage does this to me.

I hate that I love it.

do you get hearburn. I noticed the same thing the other night on my first taste of apfelwein. I think it was cuz I get reflux so easy and it was on an empty stomach.

Yeah, there's somethin about cider that makes me get wacky drunk. I'm trying to kick this keg of apple beer... its 50% cider 50% beer. IDK man... that cider **** gives me a wierd buzz that I dont get with beer.

Ed Wort has placed a curse upon you. You need to apologize to him for whatever you might have done or it will get worse. :D

I don't believe in differentiated drunks. Alcohol is alcohol is alcohol.

Perhaps your body would react better with only two servings.

Other than that, maybe you are slightly allergic to something in the AW...

There is absolutely different drunks from different drinks. They contain different things, on top of the alcohol. The drunk part may be the same but there is more to it than just alcohol.

Put it this way, would you feel any different if you chugged two beers compared to two single shot white russians? Damn straight you would.

Same goes with cider... maybe its the acidity?

I still maintain that any difference in "drunks" is mental and merely perceived. A drink with a large amount of fusel alcohol may have more lasting effects but I don't think that is a substantial difference either.

This, like many of my similar beliefs, are anecdotal. None the less, it is what I believe.

I know one thing, unlimited homebrews = waking up feeling perfectly fine the next AM.

Three bud lights out of a bottle = waking up with a sharp searing pain in the base of my skull.

You are dehydrated. The higher % of alchol is removing liquid from your body. Drink water before, during & after your alchol consumption and it will help relieve the problem. I drink wine by the pint just about every night but I also drink 2 pints of water every night to keep my body hydrated.

Some of it is perception, but to say that perception doesn't have an effect is a flawed argument. And there are chemical reactions to everything you put in your body. There is also a difference between a beer, which is 90% water, and a shot of whiskey. The evaporation has an effect, the perception of dryness, etc.

It's like saying all weed will get you the same high and the only difference is the THC levels. Simply not true...different varieties create different effects.

IT is definetly not placebo effect.

You should read "Sacred Herbal and Healing Beers."

Various herbs (including hops) have synergistic effects with alcohol. It only makes sense that the same can be true of different fruits.

I know from experience that levels of sulfites in wines has an effect. More sulfites gives many people headaches.

Someone mentioned bud light... my girlfriend and her dad both get horrible persistant headaches from even a sip of the stuff. They think its because of the rice in it.

I don't know what to tell you about the Apfelwein. I actually haven't even read up on how it is made... perhaps cane sugar or the yeast (or yeast stress?) are causing it? Maybe its the type of cider you are using? Have you tried sourcing a raw local freshly-pressed organic cider? That might make a difference, since it is free from excessive processing and chemical pesticides and preservatives (plus it tastes better!)

I'll atest to the Apfelwein affect.

Just a few weeks ago I had three 24 oz. Dos X's drafts at happy hour. Came home and had 10-12 bud lights, several shots of some crappy whiskey and three 12 oz Apfelweins.

Damn Apfelwein :drunk:

Back