WTF: Help me understand this recent cultural phenomena

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to agree with KORNKOB that, it's pretty much freedom of speech. Let the crazy man ramble to himself and "cheers" to our good fortune and sanity.

HOWEVER.. I Do also belive that Blogging and Vblogging with the ongoing purpose of stimulating ones self other than socioty deserves a WTF award.

It's bad enough we have to watch American Idol.. Now I bump into people who want to BE American Idol... WTF, get over yourselves people... contribute.

the_bird said:
I don't get the phenomenon of people thinking that because it's written down, it's inherently interesting to someone else. The only blogs I've ever read regularly are those from people who truly had some insight to add (James Lileks, as an example).
Apparently it's interesting enough for you to have found it and comment on it over and over. :)

the_bird said:
The difference is - how many people do we have here? Would you keep posting to HBT if it was just you here by your lonesome?
I dunno. I'll bet there are more trekkie fans (no, I'm not one BTW) than there are homebrewers. I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet...

the_bird said:
WTF is up with people who lead phenonally uninteresting lives feeling the need to blog? Somehow, I came across this one day...

http://unknowntrekkie.blogspot.com/index.html

Some random Star Trek fan, with no friends (noticed ZERO comments on every post), with absolutely no insight to provide or any wit in sight... I was stunned by its banality... I mean, WTF, dude, why bother blogging if you have nothing of interest to add and no one is listening, anyway...

It's so.... pathetic. :(

So, I just found this thread...and clicked to read the pathetic blog mentioned on page 1.

Low and behold, and I quote:

"I recently checked out how some people are checking out my lovely blog and found two sites whose names i will not mention posted the link and started bashing me. they don't know me. i like posting because i like sharing my thoughts with their world. i don't care if there's comments are not. its a great way for me to express myself with the world. Some people need to get their heads out of their ass and grow up. Who gives a crap about what some home brewers have to say".

That's priceless.

-Jbot

Judasbot said:
So, I just found this thread...and clicked to read the pathetic blog mentioned on page 1.

Low and behold, and I quote:

"I recently checked out how some people are checking out my lovely blog and found two sites whose names i will not mention posted the link and started bashing me. they don't know me. i like posting because i like sharing my thoughts with their world. i don't care if there's comments are not. its a great way for me to express myself with the world. Some people need to get their heads out of their ass and grow up. Who gives a crap about what some home brewers have to say".

That's priceless.

-Jbot

That's pretty funny.

"i like posting because i like sharing my thoughts with their world. i don't care if there's comments are not. its a great way for me to express myself with the world."
The thing is, no one gives a $hit what you have to say.

I agree - I hate blogs. I don't understand them. I don't want one. This forum is the ONLY forum I belong to, and it's as close to a blog as I'll ever get.

WTF is up with people that when they walk out of a shop onto the street don't bother to look to see if there is anybody walking towards them. As if it is a right of passage that they can just walk out and people WILL get out of their way. Same with people getting off buses. I move halfway and if they don't move half wal the other way then they get a shoulder that used to play rugby and a lot of archery! ....mmmm may have awoken on the wrong side of bed this morning (0818hrs and I have just got to work)
must have a coffee... :)

EDIT : And this is the only forum I have and will belong to and blogs, well they can jam them up their ar$e. If I wanted to know what somebody thought I would ask them. Self centred opinionated egotistical dumb fecks (ironic as I am telling you this also and you did not even ask!).

WTF is up with the "hand raising" at the pre-presidential debates? I was pissed that debates in this country turned into nothing but 2 minute sound bites and bumper sticker slogans.

Now all they have to do is raise their hand?

Are the candidates so stupid that they can't string together a coherent thought for 2 minutes? Or are we too stupid to make them?

Good article/book excerpt in this month's Atlantic (full article not available online) about how kids today are more narcissistic and self-centered than those of even 15 years ago, and how the Internet (particularly social network sites like MySpace and YouTube) are driving (and being driven by) this narcissism.

The full book has a really scientific-sounding title and is probably a pretty dry read, but the article is pretty good.

I apologize for the lack of quality with this vid but this supports my Costco rant.

Why do people insist on blocking the aisles with the carts. I can't even throw away my lunch garbage. There's no way to get tot he garbage can.

[YouTube]GsMG-017kIs[/YouTube]

olllllo said:
I apologize for the lack of quality with this vid but this supports my Costco rant.

Why do people insist on blocking the aisles with the carts. I can't even throw away my lunch garbage. There's no way to get tot he garbage can.

True Dat . . . .

Bump from way back, Nice! I actually saw a death sticker on the back of a car the other day and thought, "hey I need to bump the WTF thread"

I got one for you all:

WTF is with spineless piece of **** bosses. One of my bosses is such a p*ssy and can't stand up for anything I want to give him a good old fashion cock punch! I think I saw him put a jar behind his desk that has his spine in it, and i think i saw a jar with his balls in it on his bosses desk!

F* worthless Bosses!

There i feel better.

Cheers

olllllo said:
WTF is with the following auto decal:

In my experience, 9 times out of ten the decal owner and the deceased are teenagers. And the deceased quite often died in an automobile doing something stupid.

WTF is up with grown men having Myspace accounts? Underage girls + you = creepy.

WTF is up with those "My kid is an honor student" stickers? Your kid isn't a total dumb!ss, congratulations. Nobody cares.

olllllo said:

Why do people insist on blocking the aisles with the carts.

Maybe they're waiting in line to get OUT of the store. That's what my costco rant was all about.

I hate these stupid rear windshiled stickers:
Family_Sticker.jpg

It may have been covered, but:

Parents who count to their mis-behaving child in public. We all know - and your kid knows - that there is absolutely no punishment at "3".

WTF is it with.....

Parent's who say "don't do that" then let them continue to do it!!!!!!!

Why ask them not to do it in the first place if they don't mean it?
Just re-enforces to the brat they can get away with it.

WTF is it with sports figures being interviewed saying "Like I said" all the time? Uhm, if you said it before your current audience probably wasn't there to hear it the last time unless you said it 30 seconds ago so frickin stop saying LIKE I SAID!!!!!

It's the male athlete version of LIKE with teenage girls. Yea, I tend to tune into ESPN radio.

BrewBrain said:

Parents who count to their mis-behaving child in public. We all know - and your kid knows - that there is absolutely no punishment at "3".

Sadly, that is all too common. My kids know that if they hear me say three, the deal is done and already it's too late to start acting good. Also for general mis-behaving, it takes about 20 minutes to reset from whatever number I was last on.

I have two topics to address. They might be from 6 pages back, but too bad. :p

1.) Washing cars on the weekend - some vehicles actually do appreciate the older they get. I have two like that, but I still don't wash them. :D

2.) Loud pipes on bikes may be annoying, but you noticed the bike with them, didin't you? That's part of the reason they're loud; so you know they're there.

In keeping with the "cultural phenomena"(and first post, actually), what's the deal with the roadside memorials where someone became a grease stain on the highway? Some are seriously over the top with elaborate decorations, solar lights, and even trees and guestbooks. I can think of a huge one I saw that was erected in memory of some meth head that ran off and died of an overdose in the desert. I can think of another where some dummy went into a turn at 40+ over the limit(which is 55) and nailed a power pole. If anything they should get Darwin awards.

I lost a cousin to a dirtbike crash and I have no desire to remember or memorialize the spot out in the middle of nowhere where he crashed. Seriously, leave flowers at the cemetary, not the roadside. That stuff gets neglected and turns into trash blowing around.

DaveyBoy said:
WTF is up with those "My kid is an honor student" stickers?

Yep, it does not mean much in today's goverment schools, except they will have very high self esteem and not a clue about the game of dodge ball.

EdWort said:
Yep, it does not mean much in today's goverment schools, except they will have very high self esteem and not a clue about the game of dodge ball.

LOL Ed.

pldoolittle said:
Sadly, that is all too common. My kids know that if they hear me say three, the deal is done and already it's too late to start acting good. Also for general mis-behaving, it takes about 20 minutes to reset from whatever number I was last on.

After mine started waiting to three, they got a swat on two. I kept them guessing. Now it only takes holding up 1 finger and I have their attention. :)

DaveyBoy said:
WTF is up with those "My kid is an honor student" stickers?

EdWort said:

My sister is a high school math and physics teacher. She says, and I believe her, that fully two-thirds of the students at her school are on the honor roll.:(

Bernie Brewer said:
two-thirds of the students at her school are on the honor roll.:(

And beyond that, what the hell is with the idea of, "Expect less, get more" theme in our public schools?

I was told that I shouldn't be taking college credits during high school, as my counselor said, "Enjoy the best years of your life, don't cloud it with college just yet." She (and our principals) instead filled gaps in my schedule with useless classes (teacher's assistant, counseling assistant, basic cooking, weight training, etc.) Sure they kept my GPA, and guess what... I was on the honor roll with those "classes"! An entire year of opportunity wasted in my senior year, I have no doubt. Now I remember why I skipped classes that year so much, and still I received great grades in those classes.

My brother had to petition to the school board to be able to take an advanced mathematics course at a University because our high school didn't offer it. They wanted him to take something different, (they suggested art) rather than advance in mathematics.

No wonder you get on the honor roll if you just show up for class.

drouillp said:
And beyond that, what the hell is with the idea of, "Expect less, get more" theme in our public schools?

Very simple. Teachers are rated on student grades. The lower you set the bar the more successful the teacher, dept head, principal, etc appear to their superiors.

In the last decade, there has been an attempt to combat that with standardized testing (ad nauseum). It took the teachers about 15 minutes to figure that out and they now stop teaching/learning for a week to 10 days prior to each stdized test for "test preparation". No point risking your career educating a bunch of kids when you can just give them the answers and focus your efforts on getting tenure.

This kind of crap will never end till we take education back from the self serving politicians and the teachers unions. It's way past time for vouchers!

drouillp said:

Along with pldooliittle said, it's a matter of people expecting nothing and getting something substandard. They're happy they got anything at all.

I regretted not testing out of HS early. I absolutely hated it anyway and the last two years were a waste of time. Senior year was really a throwaway; I had enough GPA to omit one class and another was an assistant credit filler. Some others were drawing and autoshop. In autoshop, people could get points just for watching someone else do something. :rolleyes:

BrewBrain said:

There is in my house. If I get to 3 they know they're about to feel pain in their hindquarters. If we're in a store and I get to 3, they get it when we get home. Needless to say, I don't get to 3 very often. You only have to make good on the threat a couple of times to get the point across to them.

Here are some things that I don't understand:

Why has Spanish popped up on everything within the last couple of years? When I go to the ATM, I have to tell that friggin machine that I want to use the official language off this country to complete my transaction, and it irritates the hell out of me. I must have missed the bill that passed through both the House and Congress making both English and Spanish the official languages of our country.

Why are grown women with kids (my SWMBO included) so completely addicted to shows like "The Hills"? These shows have absolutely no social value at all. How does one find enjoyment in watching spoiled 18 year olds with 8 figure trust funds and IQ's in the mid 80's ***** about how they have to buy new shoes, or about how some spoiled rich boy wiith a dead racoon of a haircut hasn't called her for 12 hours? My wife is 30 years old and she watches this crap religiously. I just can't understand it.

ohiobrewtus said:
When I go to the ATM, I have to tell that friggin machine that I want to use the official language off this country to complete my transaction, and it irritates the hell out of me.

The bank should be able to set and save language preference with 1bit on the magstripe, lazy asses. Instead they spent money on color screens with commercials. The amber/green screeens were fine. Save your dough and give me more service and interest.

ohiobrewtus said:
Why has Spanish popped up on everything within the last couple of years? When I go to the ATM, I have to tell that friggin machine that I want to use the official language off this country to complete my transaction, and it irritates the hell out of me. I must have missed the bill that passed through both the House and Congress making both English and Spanish the official languages of our country.

Well, I know what you're saying, but...the good ol' US of A doesn't actually have an official language. English is the most common language by far, but it's not been codified as our official language by any authority.

The reason banks, phone-based customer support, etc., give you the option is because of, you guessed it, capitalism. Like it or not, more and more of their customers are spanish-language-firsters, and if they don't give them the option, they lose customers. Simple economics.

This is fun.

WTF is with the latest Coors Lite commercials? The label turns blue when the bottle is cold. Who the hell can't tell that a bottle is cold? You have to pick it up to turn the label around! And does it really matter if Coors Lite is cold or not? It still tastes like Coors Lite

uwjester said:
The label turns blue when the bottle is cold. Who the hell can't tell that a bottle is cold?

It's cause most of em need it SUPERCHILLED so it basically shocks their taste buds and gives them brain freeze. :drunk:

How the hell else could anyone regularly drink it and love it. haha (duck)

Now I have a buddy who ONLY drinks coors light from a can warm. Sitting on the pantry shelf in the back of the house warm. He claims it's too cold off the supermarket shelf. It needs to sit for a day before it's good to drink.

Him I applaud. I'm not exactly sure why, but I do. :p

ohiobrewtus said:

Why are grown women with kids (my SWMBO included) so completely addicted to shows like "The Hills"? These shows have absolutely no social value at all. How does one find enjoyment in watching spoiled 18 year olds with 8 figure trust funds and IQ's in the mid 80's ***** about how they have to buy new shoes, or about how some spoiled rich boy wiith a dead racoon of a haircut hasn't called her for 12 hours? My wife is 30 years old and she watches this crap religiously. I just can't understand it.

I dunno, up here everything is in english and french.

As to the second question.

Why does ANYONE waste time watching television period?

This was one that REALLY ticked me off the other day. I'll try and cut it down.

Driving home the other day I almost hit a kid. It was because this 12-13 year old kid was too busy talking on his freaking cell phone to control his BIKE! The kid of course was riding on the shoulder, into oncoming traffic, and was weaving left and right because he only had one hand on the handlebars and obviously couldn't do two things at once.

More importantly why the hell are the parents giving these kids cellphones!? The parents are to blame. QUIT TRYING TO BE YOUR CHILD'S BEST FRIEND AND BE AN F'N PARENT. SAY NO when they want a cell phone. Who gives a care if Joey's parents gave him a cell phone? Go punch Joey's dad in the mouth for being an idiot.

Cell phones should be illegal for kids. There is absolutely no reason they should have one. When did I get one? When I was in high school. The only reason I had it? It was cheaper than using a pay phone when I was living away from home. I really didn't even use it but maybe once a week until I was 17 and was away from home a lot more often.

/end rant

Evan! said:
Well, I know what you're saying, but...the good ol' US of A doesn't actually have an official language. English is the most common language by far, but it's not been codified as our official language by any authority.

The reason banks, phone-based customer support, etc., give you the option is because of, you guessed it, capitalism. Like it or not, more and more of their customers are spanish-language-firsters, and if they don't give them the option, they lose customers. Simple economics.

I see what you're saying too, and while the federal government may not recognize an official national language, most states have, including mine (and yours). This is just the tip of the iceberg on this topic, but this is not the place to bring up any of the rest of it.

WTF is up with entire families going to the grocery store together -- mom, dad, and the kids.

Can't one of you stay home and watch the kids while the other one shops, instead of dragging 4 screaming kids to the store?

Back