WTF Another Crappy Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozwald

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think its time to give up on all grain brewing and go back to extracts. Just did my 5th batch of all grain using my nice expensive Mash Tun and only got 37% eff. Now I've got 5 gallons of worthless wort and a yeast starter with nothing to put it in.

I'm getting tired of messing up good beer, over the last 5 batches my eff. has ranged from the 30's to one time 65%. This time I let the mash sit for 90 minutes, still only 37%.

Can I store the wort overnight and get some extract to add??? How do I figure out how much extract is needed to bring the wort up to acceptable levels?

Could you post your process so we can get a better sense of where the problem might be?

Also, who's crushing your grain?

Yes (assuming no yeast is in yet) you can, read up on the schools of thought on that subject, for example, do you bring the full pot up to a boil again or just the new LME or DME. Take a hard look at your thermometer, check against ice water and boiling water.

if you can give us a better idea of your process for mashing/sparging we might be able to find a reason. I would first look at your grain crush, triple check your thermometer and also make sure you are getting the grains thoroughly mixed when you dough in.

I was getting efficiency in the low 50s for a few batches - turned out it was the settings on the mill at the LHBS where I bought my grain. Last batch, I double milled, et voila - 78% efficiency. So, as others have said, that's the first place I'd look.

Thanks for the quick replies. I've checked my hydrometer a few times and it seems to be right on. I've never checked my water PH because I used to get efficiencies in the high sixties / low seventies when I'd use an old Lowes bucket with drilled holes in the bottom.

I now have a 10 gallon igloo cooler with a false bottom.
This time, using Beer Smith I added the water at temp, stirred to make sure there wasn't any clumping. The mash temp was right about 158 when I put the lid on. I stirred every 20 minutes for the 90 minute mash. Planning on a batch sparge. As I was doing the lauter, I had a stuck sparge. I ended up pouring in most of my sparge water all at once to keep the grains moist. I drained the grains and took a reading and got 1.018 @ 128 degrees which calculated to 37.89%.

Here's my recipe.
7lbs Flaked Wheat
2lbs Wheat Malt
.5lbs Honey Malt
.25lbs Rice Hulls

Yeah
7# wheat malt
2# flaked wheat

With that much flaked wheat in your recipe, it's no wonder you got a stuck sparge. Holy cow, could you even stir it???
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back