Wrong yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macminn18

Reaction score
I'm kind of a newbie, have a half dozen extract batches under my belt. Not a bad one yet, I might add.

I have 2 kits to brew, one is an Irish Red, the other a session IPA. For some stupid reason, I picked up the wrong yeast, and am wondering what effect that will have on the end product. I think what happened is the store looked at the number wrong, gave me 007 instead of 001. It's been a month or so, so don't want to bring it back, my bad, no big deal I didn't check it.

Irish Red - suggested yeast - Danstar Nottingham or Wyeast 1450 Dennys Fav 50.

Session IPA - suggested yeast - Wyeast 1056 American Ale or White Labs WLP 001 California Ale Yeast.

The yeast I have is White Labs Dry English Ale WLP007.

Would one of these be OK to use the Dry English Ale with? Any hints on what it will do to the taste?

WLP007 is a pretty aggressive yeast that will leave you with a dry beer, but it will leave some of the malt flavor. I use it in my Stouts, Reds and Porters that are above 1.065 Starting Gravity. For the Session IPA (can't stand that name - it is a overly hopped blonde/pale) it may dry it out a bit more than you would expect, but should give a nice maltiness that WLP001 won't have.

Back