Wrong ratios, not working

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telebrewer

Reaction score
A friend started a 2 gallon batch and is pretty sure he put in 3 cups of sugar and 2 cups of starter tea. After 3 weeks, still sweet. I ph test striped it and I've never seen the color on the top section, green, not even a shade for that on the scale.

What do you think? Dump it and start over, or ride it out?

Thanks.

3 cups seems like a lot for a 2 gallon batch. Might just still be a lot of residual sugar left.

Is there any sort of pellicle/film/scoby forming on top?

I've been experimenting with different kombucha drinks. My favorite is chia seed and pomegranate. I put a cup of chia seeds into 1 L of previously-boiled water, shake it vigorously for about 1 minute to prevent it lumping. I leave it for about 6 hours for the seeds to swell almost completely. Then I add 1 L of pomegranate juice. I add a teaspoon of scoby concentrate, and leave it to ferment at room temperature for about a week in a sealed 2 L bottle.

I check periodically for pressure in the bottle by loosening the cap. Shaking it seems to slow down the fermentation. After about a week, the fermentation is well on it's way, and that's when I put in the refrigerator. I don't like to let it ferment too far, as it begins to taste too strong, like vinegar.

I think the fermentation starts at the surface of the liquid, and progresses whether you add extra sugar or not, but shaking it disrupts the process; it seems to ferment faster when you don't shake it.

I feel I am getting the full benefit of the probiotics without letting it ferment fully. I prefer the taste of it after about a week, when it still retains the flavor of the fresh pomegranate juice to some degree. The chia seeds soak up water and swell up to 10X their size, and becomes a very good natural fiber, which also aids digestion.

Back