Wow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shbrewer

Reaction score
Upon cleaning out my front storage area in my basement I happened upon a sixer of both Oatmeal Stout and Imperial Coffee Stout that I stashed late in the spring. Opened the Imperial, which I made for a competition for December2007, and it is fantastic. The Oatmeal Stout, I was afraid, was going to be past it's prime..NOT:rockin: :ban: (I did both actions after my first taste). I made both with Mr. Beer ingredients so I was a little aprehensive about the taste. I did add my own touch to both, kinda like when I use spagettii sauce from a can. I added french roasted coffee and brown sugar to the Imperial, and pure vannilla extract and 1 cup of blackstrap molasses to the oatmeal. Sure feel warm now on this cold winters day in New England.:drunk:
Prost!!

That's awesome. I can't wait to try my first beer that's been aging for six months or more. I keep hearing great things about how much better they get, and everyone says the last one is always the best.

I cracked open a >1.5 year old beer the other night, and it was FINALLY good. It was horrible for the first year after I brewed it and I eventually dumped a lot of bottles since I needed new bottles from time to time. I managed to keep a few though, and I'm truly enjoying it now.

Not enough to ever brew it again though.

Pumbaa said:
yup, you expect less from BMC and out "freshness" obsessed society?

Course we are talking about the same folks that used to tout their aging process :cross:

I don't like to let my hoppy beers go too long (like that ever happens :mug: ) in the bottles as they seem to loose some of that crisp aroma and hoppy edge over time.

brewt00l said:
I don't like to let my hoppy beers go too long (like that ever happens :mug: ) in the bottles as they seem to loose some of that crisp aroma and hoppy edge over time.

That's what I've heard. Even with dry-hopping, they just don't make it for as long as big malty brews.

yeah I know hoppy bres can over age but I rarely if ever make hoppy beers, I'm a big malt guy. So far out of all the beers Ihave made my 3 best aged for atleast 6 months and were just getting better and better the entire time. My 20# Braggot isnt even planned on being ready for about another 12 months (been close to 12 months already). My 666 beer is still getting better and ihave a very hard time keeping Red in stock but everyone says the longer it sit the better it gets. My next batch may have to be brewed in clandestinly.

Back