Wow, this place looks a lot different these days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
At first I thought I logged into the wrong site, sure looks different since I last logged in here. I don't know what happened, why I stopped coming here, I still visit other hobby forums. I see Homer is still around??

Anyway, I am thinking of doing a couple batches again.

Where is the best place these days to order stuff? I do all grain and want to an IPA and a Brett.

I guess I have been away too long, no one remembers me or welcomed me back, oh well.

I order most of my stuff from More Beer. My lhbs is a long drive. I also like Adventures in Homebrewing. For what it's worth, welcome back.

Thanks! Been so long since I ordered I can't even remember from who.

When we had a pipe burst in the basement a few summers ago I discovered one of the boxes of empty bottles was actually a full box of a brett I made about 7 years earlier...that was a nice surprise, tasted even better then befoire. I plan to do another and store it for a few years too.

Last edited:
I guess I have been away too long, no one remembers me or welcomed me back, oh well.
\

I remember you! Welcome back. Some things have changed, but most things really haven't. @Homercidal is still around, but he actually has to work at work now so we don't "see" him as much some days. :)

I buy quite a bit of my supplies from Ritebrew.com . He's got great prices, and I can do SpeeDee shipping to my daughter's boyfriend's house to save shipping costs for sacks of grain (he lives across the border in Wisconsin). That might be worth a try to you, since he has great prices and reasonable shipping.

I have an IPA to dryhop today, so I can get it kegged this weekend.

\

I remember you! Welcome back. Some things have changed, but most things really haven't. @Homercidal is still around, but he actually has to work at work now so we don't "see" him as much some days. :)

I buy quite a bit of my supplies from Ritebrew.com . He's got great prices, and I can do SpeeDee shipping to my daughter's boyfriend's house to save shipping costs for sacks of grain (he lives across the border in Wisconsin). That might be worth a try to you, since he has great prices and reasonable shipping.

Glad to have you back.

Yes, yes on Ritebrew.com. Great selection, custom grain milling, good pricing, super fast shipping.

I don't remember you, but that is probably because before you started this thread you had posted about 4 times since I had joined.

I usually order from MoreBeer. I used to order mostly from NorthernBrewer before InBev bought them out, but now they're more of my backup option. I just moved and I'm missing my old LHBS because apparently the one around here is only open a couple days per week. I mostly went with MoreBeer because they carry some ingredients like MCI Stout Malt that I like that not everybody carries.

I think that almost anywhere you look will have ingredients for IPAs, because that fad just wont go away. I just ordered (within the past month or so) some Brett-C that I'm going to use to make something resembling a lambic next month.

\

I sure remember you, in fact I was just recently thinking about Yoopers (then thought of you) because here we have Shoebees which I never heard of but it is an old term for people out of state who would come to the Jersey shores with the sandwiches and stuff in a showbox...I had to look that up. On the way to the shore for years I saw I sign on a tree "Shoebees Go Home!" probably because on weekend during the summer the traffic is bumper to bumper for 10 even 20 miles before you get to the shore. Funny.
I remember Laughing Gnome well too, he still here? Funny guy.

I don't remember you, but that is probably because before you started this thread you had posted about 4 times since I had joined.

I usually order from MoreBeer. I used to order mostly from NorthernBrewer before InBev bought them out, but now they're more of my backup option. I just moved and I'm missing my old LHBS because apparently the one around here is only open a couple days per week. I mostly went with MoreBeer because they carry some ingredients like MCI Stout Malt that I like that not everybody carries.

I think that almost anywhere you look will have ingredients for IPAs, because that fad just wont go away. I just ordered (within the past month or so) some Brett-C that I'm going to use to make something resembling a lambic next month.

Yeah, I used to come here a lot then I got a job where they snooped on work computer internet searches and visits and I thought a beer making forum would get the wrong attention...so I joined a guitar forum and made new friends there. I am also a member of a saltwater reef forum, don't go there as much now either...still have my 125g tank though.

So 2 votes for Morebeer and 2 for Ritebrew....guess I will have to look at both. Crazy how much prices went up since I bought stuff last. I love brewing except I don't care for getting the bottles cleaned and filled, that is no fun anymore.

\

The whole layout of the website changed, what happened? Is it an improvement? For me is means trying to figure it all out again. Of course I like the old format because I was familiar with it. When I logged back in I thought I had the wrong site, then when I was still able to log in I knew I was in the right place, then saw familiar names.

I think my first or one of my first threads was to ask if I could make a wheat beer with shredded wheat cereal and I did, tasted great. I think I did it one more time but I think cereal is more expensive than wheat so..

The whole layout of the website changed, what happened? Is it an improvement? For me is means trying to figure it all out again. Of course I like the old format because I was familiar with it. When I logged back in I thought I had the wrong site, then when I was still able to log in I knew I was in the right place, then saw familiar names.
Don't get us started. But know there was pain involved...

Cheers! ;)

The thing I like about morebeer is the free shipping when you spend 50 or 60 bucks. Also my orders usually arrive in 2 days if it comes from the east coast warehouse. The prices at rightbrew are great. The shipping cost ruins it for me. I do mill my own grain. I couldn't speak on the crush from any online store.

I love brewing except I don't care for getting the bottles cleaned and filled, that is no fun anymore.

I hear you. If I ever mysteriously disappear from this forum be sure to check the "what did you get in the mail today" thread. I might leave a note about buying a kegging system and kegerator without having previously discussed it with my wife.

What can I say, schematix's story over on the "Don't Do That" thread (page 36) inspired me. He might be my new hero.

I've ordered a lot from both MoreBeer and Ritebrew. I'm about 3 hours from Ritebrew so when either I or a buddy go by there, we get an order. "Free" shipping at that point, and their prices are terrific.

I've ordered probably <checking....checking> geez, something like 18 times from Morebeer. Not quite as much from RiteBrew, but I tend to get larger orders from them (150# of grain, other items).

And welcome back. I don't remember you as I'm a newbie but I'm looking forward to reading your contributions to the site.

I've ordered a lot from both MoreBeer and Ritebrew. I'm about 3 hours from Ritebrew so when either I or a buddy go by there, we get an order. "Free" shipping at that point, and their prices are terrific.

I've ordered probably <checking....checking> geez, something like 18 times from Morebeer. Not quite as much from RiteBrew, but I tend to get larger orders from them (150# of grain, other items).

And welcome back. I don't remember you as I'm a newbie but I'm looking forward to reading your contributions to the site.

At this point I know enough to brew all grain and I usually make it up my own brews as I go along, only in the beginning did I try to follow a recipe, to me that is part of the fun, designing your own beer. I will probably be posting here mostly. I have not much to add to brewing.

I have a huge hop vine (vines, monster, weed) growing I now wish I never planted. The rhizomes keep spreading and have become a weed. I made a 15' trellis for them to grow on and now the buds are so high I don't bother trying to harvest them anymore. My wife bought me some seeds as a gift from a gardening catalog and I found out later it just said "hops" so I have no idea the kind. Not sure of the quality so I just buy them although I did make a nice beer with them once. The problem I had was getting all the tiny bugs out, too much trouble, so now I buy them.

Ok maybe it has been too long since I brewed. I have a question. I am about to order some grains and can't remember if they came cushed/cracked or I had to request it be done? I went to order 50lb sacks of grains from Morebeer but was afraid to place my order until I knew. They don't have chat but I did email them my question but they never replied. I swear when I ordered grain about 5-7 years ago there was a mention it was already crushed for mashing.

Ok maybe it has been too long since I brewed. I have a question. I am about to order some grains and can't remember if they came cushed/cracked or I had to request it be done? I went to order 50lb sacks of grains from Morebeer but was afraid to place my order until I knew. They don't have chat but I did email them my question but they never replied. I swear when I ordered grain about 5-7 years ago there was a mention it was already crushed for mashing.

Ritebrew has a drop-down menu on the grain ordering pages that lets you specify crushed or uncrushed. Morebeer has "milled/not milled" buttons on their grain pages. Go through trying to order some and you'll see, even if you don't complete the order.

Ritebrew has a drop-down menu on the grain ordering pages that lets you specify crushed or uncrushed. Morebeer has "milled/not milled" buttons on their grain pages. Go through trying to order some and you'll see, even if you don't complete the order.

Ah, ok great thanks!

Only problem is they don't do 50lb milled so I had to buy 5 10lb. I don't use 50lb at a time anyway.

Only problem is they don't do 50lb milled so I had to buy 5 10lb. I don't use 50lb at a time anyway.

Three words: get your own mill.

Oh, wait. That was four words.

Best bang for the buck, IMO: Cereal Killer. Runs off a drill or can be hand cranked. It's $99 shipped. I had a Barley Crusher, upgraded to a Monster Mill with motor, but if I had to do it over again, instead of the BC I'd buy the CK.

https://www.homebrewing.org/Cereal-Killer-Grain-Mill_p_2310.html?AffId=160

Welcome back! This hobby is always in your blood once you get hooked. I order a lot from MoreBeer and I usually get the order in three days. I do use other vendors as well here and there, but mostly from MoreBeer.

John

Welcome back! This hobby is always in your blood once you get hooked. I order a lot from MoreBeer and I usually get the order in three days. I do use other vendors as well here and there, but mostly from MoreBeer.

John

Well, everything is to be delivered by the end of this week ($225 order) EXCEPT the wheat which will take another week. The thing is I was planning on wheat in all the beers I had planned (including the Brett) and I am on vacation next week and planning on one maybe 2 brews, now it may be none until the following week...oh well. Hey maybe I can add shredded wheat cereal again?? lol

So everything got delivered today and I think the wheat too, says it got shipped at the same time and wife says there are 2 boxes of grain so I am happy.

I'm back......would you believe I only brewed one 5g batch after I got that order last June? Got on a project that took all my spare time until October then it got too cold for me to brew outside. Once it warms up a bit I need to get going, but since I didn't finish the project (repairing 2 large decks, sanding to bare wood and refinishing) hopefully I can make some time.

I'm back......would you believe I only brewed one 5g batch after I got that order last June? Got on a project that took all my spare time until October then it got too cold for me to brew outside. Once it warms up a bit I need to get going, but since I didn't finish the project (repairing 2 large decks, sanding to bare wood and refinishing) hopefully I can make some time.

Welcome back. Just plan a weekend for yourself and put your foot down. House projects will never end.

Back