Wow! BIAB no mashout no-chill brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not going to go through all of the benefits of no-chill, as it has been discussed in several other threads, but here is my reasoning for it..

1)Time - shaves time of my brewday which allows me more freedom on when I can brew. Shorter brewday allows me to brew on a weekday after work for instance without staying up all night. Then pitch yeast in the next day or two. I have an immersion chiller and no-chill shaves an additional 30+ minutes off

2)Equipment - Less equipment to own/maintain/clean. I brew in my kitchen but keep all of my equipment in the basement.. this means hauling less gear up/down each brewday. Less to clean and less to maintain over the life of my brewing hobby

3)Flexibility - my fermentation chamber is a 5.0 cu ft chest freezer which will only fit one carboy. By cubing my wort, I can brew as often as I like and store the cubes until my chamber is opened up. I usually ferment in there for about one week per batch then remove and let it finish at room temp.

4)Simplicity - I just like the idea of less equipment and less variables.. some do, some don't.. BIAB & no chill is very simple and I like that.. allows me to have more fun without over-analyzing my brewing. and if it makes good beer.. win-win in my book

I must edit this to say that this being my first no-chill, I don't know if I will stick with it long-term, but after doing it for the first time, I was very excited about it..

You said it all perfectly! That covers pretty much all of it.

Sorry, if I'd read through all of these before responding, I'd have been able to eliminate a few of these answers.

I wondered why the Aussies didn't have a problem with Botulism with storing the wort for so long so I did some research on botulism and found this. Since wort is naturally acidic, it prevents botulin spores from growing in it.
You left out the low-sugar requirement. Hot, acidic, sugary wort is the exact opposite of what botulism needs to grow.

Back