Would you work part time at your LHBS if you could?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mic Carp

Loud Mic
Reaction score
So,
My LHBS posted in IG that they are looking for a weekend guy. I saw the ad a few weeks ago and have beem mulling it over ever since.

Pros:
Cool factor - I work in a Home Brew Shop
Meet a lot of homebrewers and people in the industry
Learn a ton
Probable discounts (however I don't know how, their prices are already amazing)
Make a couple extra bucks
I am already there probably 2 days a month, whats 4-6 more?
Hours are really easy, 11-6 Saturday and 11-3 Sunday

Cons:
Eventually every job becomes work
Already having a regular full time job, 45-50 hrs per week, means good possibility to burn out.

In making this list, I see a lot more pros than cons, but the cons are hefty. What am I not considering?

When do you brew? Do you need extra time to do other things?

That's just it. I would like to continue brewing LOL and the girlfriend is expecting some attention, then there's the yards... luckily i work a 9/80 so i have every other Friday off. but still

Dang! Well, they aren't open until tomorrow so I suppose I can call them then and see what they are looking for.

I have helped out at breweries in the past. One thing you need to know is that the work isn't all it's cracked up to be. You are not going to be running the brew house or even be involved in any of the brewing process. You will likely be on cleaning duty and work your way up, which will happen overtime. So I would look into what exactly the job entails.

I have helped out at breweries in the past. One thing you need to know is that the work isn't all it's cracked up to be. You are not going to be running the brew house or even be involved in any of the brewing process. You will likely be on cleaning duty and work your way up, which will happen overtime. So I would look into what exactly the job entails.

Thanks for the tip Histo320!
I would expect that in a brewery, but this is actually a retail store catering to homebrewers so the job would be running the cash register, crushing/measuring grain, swapping gas tanks, drooling over... oops, I mean selling awesome gear,etc etc.

nope. already dedicate 40 hours of the week toward work. not going to voluntarily add more

in addition to brewing, I have other hobbies that I'm really into like game designing and surfing. And got a gf that demands a lot of my time. Adding another job would get in the way of a bunch of that

LHBS = Local Homebrew Shop

Don’t forget to add to the pro list that you may be able to brew at work, as part of the job. That would take care of the issue of your brew weekends being sucked up with work. At least at my LHBS, they offer a homebrewing class once per month on weekends and whoever is running the shop that day brews the recipe of the month for demonstration. Ferment it at the shop and everything.

I considered it also at one point in addition to my full time job just for the employee discount, until I found out employees ended up spending more than they used to just because they’re always there. And you then develop a strict loyalty to the shop and feel bad looking elsewhere/online for deals, and end up spending more that way too. Possible con.

I bet you do learn a ton, however. And if only 11 hours a week, would probably never really feel like “work work.”

Don’t forget to add to the pro list that you may be able to brew at work, as part of the job. That would take care of the issue of your brew weekends being sucked up with work. At least at my LHBS, they offer a homebrewing class once per month on weekends and whoever is running the shop that day brews the recipe of the month for demonstration. Ferment it at the shop and everything.

Going to take a guess here that if they need help on the weekends they probably do not have the slack in time for employees to hang out and brew. If they offer brewing classes then they are probably going to have one of the full time employees handle it so there is a recognizable face for new brewers.

If you're already doing 45-50 hrs a week then this is a nobrainer. No. If you like the atmosphere of the lhbs just go there and hang out and chitchat, and leave when you want to leave. Are you there 11-6 every time you're there? It becomes boring to have to restock the shelves, deal with customer complaints about something not working, the paperwork, have to find a new sack when you're milling for a customer and the pale ale runs out while there's two more waiting to get their custom grist milled etc etc. It's a job, you already have one, and a wife. When will you be able to brew or hang with your family if this job is in the weekends?

Last edited:
Your weekends would be shot. Sounds cool, but I think after two weekends, I’ll give you two, you’ll be like ugh why did I do this.

And brewing there? You know what can happen in a brew day. You think the owner is going to like missed sales because you had to whirlpool? No.

I worked at my LHBS on weekends and on days when the owner (25 years) was out for health problems.
I found it to be very rewarding.
Often I learned as much from experienced customers as I tried to teach beginners.
This shop helped me get started 10+ years ago and I wanted to help keep them going while trying to pass on information to beginners.
Unfortunately, they closed due to retirement and I’m now left with on line or a 2 hour round trip drive to a shop that’s not as nearly knowledgeable or as well stocked.

No, I have no desire to interact with retail customers, thanks :drunk:
This! But thats me. We call them by various names but I deal with "customers" about 55-70 hours a week and thats just mon-fri. A 10-12hr day is normal for me, the thought of an extra pt job for fun is a hard "NO!" with or without "customers." Especially when think of the home projects, family time and an attempt at a semi-normal social life.

But... if you are kind of interested... and it is a family owned shop... ask if you could volunteer 1-2 weekends a month in exchange for a discount or something.

This! But thats me. We call them by various names but I deal with "customers" about 55-70 hours a week and thats just mon-fri. A 10-12hr day is normal for me, the thought of an extra pt job for fun is a hard "NO!" with or without "customers." Especially when think of the home projects, family time and an attempt at a semi-normal social life.

But... if you are kind of interested... and it is a family owned shop... ask if you could volunteer 1-2 weekends a month in exchange for a discount or something.
Sorry off topic. But do you live in some sort of Gulag-camp? 55-70 hrs a week and 10-12 hours are normal? What the hell?

Sorry off topic. But do you live in some sort of Gulag-camp? 55-70 hrs a week and 10-12 hours are normal? What the hell?
Usually closer to 55 than 70, but several months per year its the latter. Boss. Babysitter of professionals. Researcher. Multi-committee contributor and supposedly important. Oh yeah, and slave, I mean salaried. Both over-paid and underpaid.

And for personal sanity, traffic is really bad at certain times, coming in a little early (while wife is still asleep) and coming home a little late means I'm more tolerable than when I get home. And I am very compartmentalized separating work and home with as little overlap as possible.

I work part-time at the LHBS. But my situation is different---I'm retired. It gives me the opportunity to have another activity out of the house (I volunteer 2 other days a week). And since I don't need the (small) additional income, I do get discounts and have learned from working there. Also, I can work the days I want (no weekends).

If I wasn't retired, no, I wouldn't work part-time. Especially weekends!

YMMV

I work part-time at the LHBS. But my situation is different---I'm retired. It gives me the opportunity to have another activity out of the house (I volunteer 2 other days a week). And since I don't need the (small) additional income, I do get discounts and have learned from working there. Also, I can work the days I want (no weekends).

If I wasn't retired, no, I wouldn't work part-time. Especially weekends!

YMMV
I'm also retired. If there was a LHBS I'd jump at the chance to work there part time.

Thanks Guys,
all of your answers are great advice/considerations. I am also thinking that after 2 weeks I woul be questioning my sanity, my girlfriend already does.

I think i will pass on the job, the extra $200-$400 a month seems small in the grand scheme of things

In the OP's situation - for me, I wouldn't even consider it. Retired and part time 2 days a week - for sure. I don't know the traffic of the store but if they are only looking for Saturday and Sunday, I would expect it to be pretty hectic. Not much for interaction and learning. My decision then would be based on wages and/or discounts. Another consideration - retail sucks!!!!

Back