Would this button work for a dyi pump controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtybear7

Reaction score
I'm building a simple pump controller box. I want to plug in both my march pumps and turn them on and off via buttons. I've done some wiring in the past, but my electrical knowledge is some what lacking. I'll be plugging the box into a standard 120v 15a line. I have a couple of LED on/off buttons laying around I'd like to use but I'm not sure. They are Switch rating: 3A / 250VDC. I think the pump info is:

Electrical 115V 50/60HZ
Non-Submersible

Motor AMP Rating - Full Load Amps (FLA)
Motor Only: 1.7 Amps
Motor and Pump: 1.9 Amps

the button:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/915

915-00.jpg

Thanks

The specs say non-submersible. I'd be concerned using it in an environment where spills, etc., are common. I'd advise a more robust GFCI switch

I use the green plastic illuminated switches which appear to have the same actual switching mechanism than these only a different face.(you can see them at the bottom of my panel pictured in my avatar) I have been using them for 4 years but they have given me grief and reliability issues along the way so much that I ordered replacements to replace them all... and I'm only using them to switch 24v dc at 1 amp so My advice here would be to look for something a little more robust... I know these look cool with the illumination, thats why I originally went with the similar ones form the same sellers..

I am replacing mine with these...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171225201519?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

You only need a switch and a relay to do it the most inexpensive way and a project box. Why make it more complicated than it has to be.
Then you could use any commonly avail light switch from home depot, waterproof ones, outdoor ones, Lightup ones etc etc.

Link to an example of a rib, I can get you my part number if needed:

Link to Relay in a Box Example

Back