Would this be a good brew pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LieutenantDan

Reaction score
I just started brewing & my buddies & I just share equipment, but I would like my own so I can brew whenever I want to. Is 35 quart too big for 5 gallon batches, or does this give me flexibility to go all grain in the future?
b804873_1.jpg

Do a search on "aluminum vs stainless".

Those threads should help you make a decision.

Do a search on "aluminum vs stainless".

Those threads should help you make a decision.

yeah, I've gone through those before, mainly I want to know if the size is good & if it's a decent deal. The ad doesn't say what the kettle is made of.

Spigot looks a little high, but you could probably fashion a dip tube.

Does anyone know if it's removable? Might be easier to add a dip tube and hose connections if you switched to a ball valve.

Otherwise, a good deal.

And it looks like it comes with the junkie option. Needle to main line your beer for a quicker buzz. :D

Why did the aluminum vs stainless thing get brought up? The Op didn't say anything about it. And it doesn't freakin matter.

Dan, my issue with that setup is that it's not "expandable" in the sense that you can't use a bigger pot on that burner. In fact you can't really use any other pot than that odd shaped one on that burner with those support arms on them.

That means you'll never be able to brew larger batches, and will always have to make sure your preboil volume isn't too much to risk boil over.

I have a cheap 30 dollar turkey frier with a simple flat stand like this,

turkey_fryer_9542.jpg

And I used the 30 quart pot that it came with for years, but recently I upgraded to a 15 gallon restaurant kettle, and I didn't have to replace the burner in order to use it.

I would look for a more traditional designed turkey fryer, because you're going to be boxed it by that styles fafety features if you want to expand.

Or if you want to try other things on there.

Here's my setup

303060_10150300016239067_620469066_7917250_382044247_n.jpg

And here's us using the same style burner to make Brochet (15th century Burnt honey mead) in a dutch oven on the burner.

59388_434103874066_620469066_5123596_3470578_n.jpg

You can't really do that easily on the burner you're looking at.

Hey I was doing a little research for you and the only problem I see is that possibly the BTUs are too low, I have the Banjo SP10 and it does 150,000+ BTUs. Personally, I would order the IMUSA 32 qt tamale steamer ($24 online and the cheapest and biggest pot for the price out there, aluminum) and order the SP10 for $50. That's $75 and you know you'll be good.

IMUSA 32 qt steamer

Don't worry about the spigot you probably wouldn't be able to easily hook up any kind of tubing to the one on the less expensive turkey fryer you are thinking about buying.

That was my first setup, I still use the SP10 but I welded on brackets so it'll hold my nicely modded keggle.

I have to agree with Revvy. I had a 30 quart turkey fryer with safety bars sort of along those lines to help hold the pot in place. I found the pot a little small for full 5 gallon boils, so I recently upgraded to a 68 quart pot, but I had to buy a new burner/stand in order to be able to use the bigger pot. Definitely go with one of the flat topped ones if possible.

good stuff, didn't even consider the safety bars & figured 50k BTUs would be enough looks like I'll pass on this & wait until after Thanksgiving for a clearanced out fryer.

Actually look around now. Some stores actually get newer models in for Turkey Day, and deep discount last year's models to make room for them. I got mine right around this time a few years back for 25.99 at a Kroger, because they had just got in a newer model they were going to be selling for 50 leading up to the holiday.

I'm not saying I know more than y'all on that, but you might be able to use 50K just fine, but I'm thinking it might just take a while.

Back