Worthington White Shield copy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajf

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The following recipe was taken from Dave Line's book "Brewing beers like those you buy"

Batch size 5 gallons US
OG 1.052
FG 1.012

Ingredients
6 1/2 lb 2 row pale malt
6 oz medium crystal malt
1 lb invert cane sugar
1 tsp Irish moss
1/2 oz Davis gelatin
2 oz Fuggles (90 minutes)
1 oz Golding (90 minutes)
1/2 oz Goldings (15 minutes)
1/4 oz Goldings (dry hop)
Worthington White Shield yeast starter
1/2 tsp per pint priming sugar

1. Heat 3.75 gals water for pale ale brewing to 140 degrees and stir in the crushed malts. Stirring continuously, raise the temperature to 151 degrees. Mash for 1 1/2 hours at 151 degrees.
2. Using slightly hotter water than the mash, sparge to collect 5 gallons of wort.
3. Add two oz Fuggles, and 1 oz Goldings. Boil for 90 minutes. While boiling, dissolve the invert sugar in a little hot water, and add to the boil. Add Irish moss as per directions
4. Switch off heat, add 1/2 oz Goldings. Steep for 15 minutes. Strain clear wort into fermenter and make up to 5 gals with cold water.
5. When cool, pitch with yeast and ferment for 4 - 5 days until gravity falls to 1.012. Rack to secondary fermenter, and add 1/4 oz Goldings and Gelatin finings.
6. Leave for 5 days, prime and bottle. Leave for 21 days to condition.

My changes.
Couln't get invert sugar. I added an extra 1/2 lb 2 row, and 1/2 lb flaked barley instead.
Used 2 1/2 gallons mash water, and sparged to 6 gallons.
Didn't have Fuggles, so I substituted 2 1/2 oz Goldings for the 2 oz Fuggles (Boiling and steeping hops were 5.0% aa plugs)
Used anonymous dry yeast as I couldn't get the White Shield.
OG 1.055
7 days in primary
Upped the dry hops to 1/2 oz pellets, 21 days in secondary.
FG 1.014
Substituted 3/4 cup corn sugar for the cane sugar suggested for priming.

Tasted pretty good to me. :drunk:

Enjoy.

-a.

I read some were that white shield is filter'd then re-pitched with a different yeast in the bottle anyway,never try'd a starter with the sediment though/has any one done it?wot's it like?

I did it recently with Bell's Anniversary Ale and it worked great! I know, that probably doesn't help anyone in the UK, b/c I doubt you can get Bell's in bottles outside the US. I just sampled the beer I made with it last week and it is a tasty brew. I think it will be even better this week. :D

Brew chick said:
I read some were that white shield is filter'd then re-pitched with a different yeast in the bottle anyway,never try'd a starter with the sediment though/has any one done it?wot's it like?

I used to use the yeast from either White Shield or Guiness all the time until I moved to the States in 1980. Both of them worked fine then, but they may have changed the recipes since.

Rhoobarb said:
Cool! Thanks for digging this up!:)

You're very welcome. Sounds like the Bell's Anniversary Ale is a similar brew. If I can find any on Long Island, I'll try making a starter with that.

-a.

BitterRat said:
FWIW, Wyeast 1028 is supposedly Worthington Whiteshield yeast.
http://www.brewrats.org/yeast1.cfm?cat=6

I have recently used three samples of the 1028 yeast. It seems to me that it is a very different yeast than the White Shield that I used to use.

Admittedly, the last time I used a White Shield yeast was about 25 years ago, and my memory may be playing tricks on me, so I have contacted your reference and Wyeast to get accurate information.

I'll keep you posted with any results that I receive.

-a.

Back