Worth Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnelson1025

Reaction score
So here I am waiting for my water to boil, and I thought I'd share my wort chiller, which is a category just under disaster. I first spent half an hour trying to coil it around a coffee can, which didn't work because the only thing that was bending was the can. So I tried a bucket. No dice. I ended up bending it by hand which resulted in this janky contraption, which has about 5 kinks in it. But hey! It still works, with no leaks! So it's all good.

7034910312264_ORIG.jpg

I bet you could classify that as modern art and put it on display somewhere!

I am no expert bit it looks like its a little bigger copper pipe than is usually used. I think I might just buy one already made. Doesn't seem like you save that much money or am I wrong?

@ Beezy
I used 1/2 inch tubing for this. For the copper, a faucet adapter, and some vinyl tubing, it cost me about $35.

@ Bobby M
Yeah I straightened it out. As I was making it, I was thinking that I just probably work hardened the hell out it by straightening it.

dnelson1025 said:
@ Beezy
I used 1/2 inch tubing for this. For the copper, a faucet adapter, and some vinyl tubing, it cost me about $35.

@ Bobby M
Yeah I straightened it out. As I was making it, I was thinking that I just probably work hardened the hell out it by straightening it.

Yeah I guess you save half compared to a high priced shop. I am DIYing a lot of my stuff but I still feel like I am going to buy a premade one. Who knows, chiller is still down on the list a few spots.

I just bought one that looks similar to that from a guy that quit brewing for $15. Cut my chill time from the hour+ it was taking me when I was just running cold water past the kettle to about 15 minutes. It isn't pretty either but it was probably the best $15 for brewing I have spent.

Thanks for posting. I have always felt bad about the look of my homebrewed chiller, but feel better now...

j/k

As long as it cools, who cares what it looks like.

IMG_20110530_213450.jpg

No offense but I lmfao when I saw that pic:) As long as it works right. I saw a video of a guy making one. He wrapped it around a 5g keg which worked well.

Back