Worth bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c0sm0nautt

Reaction score
I started a Red Lager about a month and a half ago. I made the mistake of keeping it in my garage where the primary froze, killing all of the lager yeast.

A couple weeks ago I decided to add some ale yeast to see what would happen. I didn't notice any fermentation.

I did a hydrometer reading yesterday and the beer is at 1.02. The FG is supposed to be 1.01. The OG was 1.04. It looks and smells like beer. I haven't tasted it yet.

What do you think? Worth bottling? If my math is correct it will only have about 3% alcohol.

No harm in bottling...save for time and effort. Give it a taste first and go from there.

Like dfc said, what temperature is it at now? Try to make sure it is around 66-68F. I'd let it warm up and sit a little while longer. If it has been sitting at 66-68, then its probably done fermenting. Its not going to be the strongest of beers, but its still beer. Might be a little malty, along the lines of a stout, but I'd say 99% of the people on here would still give it a try and drink it too.

bottling now would likely lead to bottle bombs, or gusher bottles that won't be drinkable since they'll toss all the yeast into suspension when you crack it open.

if you want to make it finish, pitch an active yeast starter.

I wouldn't spend the energy to bottle this beer right now.

I have read where someone let their lager freeze and after warming it back up it finished fine!

Warm it up for a week or two then check gravity, if gravity is stable for a couple of days in a row bottle it!

Thanks for the replies. I poured the ale yeast in when it was about 63 degrees (it was dry yeast that I put in lukewarm water for a few minutes). I didn't stir it, just dumped it in.

Today I moved it from my basement to my living room where I hope to get it up to 68 degrees. I might try adding some sugar to kick start the yeast.

I guess the consensus is to let it sit a few more weeks and take it from there. I don't want bottle bombs

There should still be sugars in the wort/beer. A GENTLE stir will mix the yeast back in and should kick start the short remainder of the fermentation. Remember, a fair amount of your yeast is sitting on the bottom. There is still enough in suspension to just warm it up, but lightly mixing it will get it done faster. Be careful though. You risk oxidation. Just very gently swirl your fermenter around. You should have a layer of CO2 over the beer so some light splashing won't hurt too bad, but you don't want anything too aggressive. Just enough to get the yeast cake broken up a bit.

Latest posts

Back