Wort trub not settling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bread

Reaction score

This is my wort after my boil and cooling in an ice bucket. I have a lot of trub from my hot and cold breaks, but I cant get this trub to settle quickly so that I can pour into my fermenter. I use whirlfloc, and in this case, I also used some Irish moss. I tried whirlpooling with a spoon but no success. It takes hours to start settling and I cant wait that long to pour into my fermenter.

Has anyone else seen trub like this?
I've only experienced trub like this in the last few batches, it never used to stay suspended for so long before.

Did you use a lot of wheat? I find my trub takes longer to settle with wheat in the mash. But trub in you fermenter won't hurt.

I usually try to get it to settle the best I can. But, honestly, I get alot of trub in my fermentor. It will settle in there. The yeast well settle on top of it and by the time you keg/bottle its all compacted at the bottom. I've never noticed any off flavors from getting trub in the fermentor. I say just rack it as is.

I will whirlpool for about 10 minutes or until the rotation stops then rack the wort into the fermentor from the top down with an auto siphon. I still get trub in there but it doesn't bother me nor have I noticed it having an ill effect on the beer.

Just dump it in!

That is what my wort used to look like when I used an IC. I still transferred everything to the FV. If I just pulled clear wort, I would have left 1-2 gal in the BK. You'd be fine by dumping it all in the fermenter. You will still be able to achieve clear beer in the end.

Thanks for unanimous response, thats exactly what I ended up doing.
But I have read that transferring all the protein trub can lead to off/possible sulphur flavours/aromas in the finished beer, and possible chill haze problems. But I suppose this would be more applicable to breweries on a commercial scale perhaps.
My last batch was also okay with all the trub in the fermentor.
At least its not just me.

Cheers!

But I have read that transferring all the protein trub can lead to off/possible sulphur flavours/aromas in the finished beer, and possible chill haze problems.

That's what I always thought until I got caught in a debate about it on HBT somewhere. I was surprised by the number of experienced brewers who said they don't bother trying get the wort off the trub, they just dump it all.

If you are still worried about it, then remember to cold crash - the longer the better.

But I have read that transferring all the protein trub can lead to off/possible sulphur flavours/aromas in the finished beer, and possible chill haze problems. But I suppose this would be more applicable to breweries on a commercial scale perhaps.

Cheers!

That hasnt really been proven one way or the other. Here is an Brulosophy bit where it was tested
http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/

Looking at your wort picture it was separating and only got kicked back up. The break is coagulated enough that it will re-separate out. You are good. I have never noticed a flavor difference from the trub going into fermenter other than more of a layer of sediment in the bottom of the fermenter. I have included kettle trub and avoided kettle trub in everything from pale ales, cream ales, stouts and porters, and everything else I have brewed without any real noticeable difference. YMMV though

You can do a whirlpool and put the lid on it and let it sit for a while before siphoning to your fermenter if you really want to separate it.

If your beer is good do what you want. RDWHAHB and all that. Otherwise do your own experiment and see if it really makes a difference.

Cheers!

On my most recently bottled batch, I poured everything into my fermenter for the first time, and I came away with by far the clearest pre-bottled beer that I've had (that was my eigth batch total)...and this was a beer whose grain bill was 40% wheat. The FG sample tasted terrific, too.

Glad to hear you just went for it. I really don't think you'll have any concerns. Good luck!

Back