Wort transfer from kettle question/idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideways

Reaction score
I have a large stainless steel kettle with a ball valve on the bottom which has a a cylindrical wire mesh screen connecteed to it on the inside of the kettle to filter out the hop pellets and hot/cold break. This method of filtering the trub doesn't seem to be the best way to do it. Has anybody tryed attaching the screen to a float and then using tubing to attach the screen to the ball valve? With this method you will transfer wort from the top down instead of from the bottom where all of the trub settles. Any thoughts? I tried doing a search to see if anybody else has tried this but I couldn't come up with anything. Maybe its just that my google skills are lacking.

Sounds kind of interesting.. just have to keep it out of the way during the brewing/boiling process.
High temp hose, have to figure out the float system. But sounds like a fun project! Try it! Post some pictures I'd like to see what you come up with!

This may work but it may lead to problems transferring your wort. When you feed from the bottom of the vessel you are using the head pressure from the full volume of the kettle to start the flow. Even with this pressure I can have difficulties priming my pump. If you are siphoning your fluid you will still have to start the flow somehow. When you do get the siphon started you will not have the added velocity created by the head pressure of the volume of liquid pushing from above so it will transfer al little slower.
People have used this method to dispense their corny kegs but this is done in a pressurized vessel.

I have a similar set-up as you, Sideways, but with a 9-gallon kettle. I have my ball valve connected to a street 90 and a bent dip tube that places it near the bottom edge of the kettle. I tore apart a double-mesh strainer to use the mesh to fab a mesh tube, pinched/rolled at the end. Basically, it sounds like yours but it hugs the edge of the kettle. Originally, I did this to clear my immersion chiller but now when my wort is cooled I remove the IC and start a manual whirlpool with the mash paddle and let it settle out a trub-cone for 15-20 minutes or so. Slowly draining it always produces crystal clear wort. I generally use a combination of whole hops and pellets, though, and I think the whole hops work as an added filter element. I think the main keys are the double mesh, the whirlpool, the time to settle, and and the slow pour...good luck!

This may work but it may lead to problems transferring your wort. When you feed from the bottom of the vessel you are using the head pressure from the full volume of the kettle to start the flow. Even with this pressure I can have difficulties priming my pump. If you are siphoning your fluid you will still have to start the flow somehow. When you do get the siphon started you will not have the added velocity created by the head pressure of the volume of liquid pushing from above so it will transfer al little slower.
People have used this method to dispense their corny kegs but this is done in a pressurized vessel.

All very good points!

Latest posts

Back