Wort straining question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xico

Reaction score
I have a brew in a conical system I am looking to improve the whirlpool function of. As of now my two options are to recirculate from bottom port through racking port, which moves the break around in solution and to pull from the racking port and recirc through a stainless racking cane I repurposed with compression fittings to fasten to the lid port. The problem with the latter is that I don't get enough movement of beer to whirlpool.

Possible routes I could use advice on:

Ask a local brew hardware fabricator to make a through wall fitting of 3/4 inch tubing with an elbow at the end to recirc through the top

Get an inline wort strainer and I recirc from the bottom port through racking port (fewer parts and occasions to break my lines to switch ports).

url

Have people used the strainers before, will they hold up without clogging (I keep my hops in a strainer so little is in the wort)? Will this not aid in clarifying the beer? I am doing 80 minute hop stands for my hop forward brews these days so I need something that won't clog up on me.

What

Any other advise on ideas I haven't considered are most welcome.

Please keep in mind that though I am a DIYer most of the time, I am not in a position to invest time in design and parts sourcing while I am balancing schooling, full time work, and 20 gallons of brews a week. My budget is 80-140 dollars.

HOP1.jpg

Goodness, that's the longest hop stand I've ever heard of. If it works, more power to you. Is the point of the whirlpool to keep the hop stand rolling? If so, you can always just recirculate with the break and then worry about the settling after the hop stand when you chill and develop the cold break as well. If you don't care about clear wort going into the fermenter, just dump it all in there anyway. It shouldn't affect the final clarity.

Yes, because I use hop bags I need some movement of wort to maximize extraction. I learned about this experiment and have been trying out longer stands:

http://www.mbaa.com/publications/tq/tqPastIssues/2010/Abstracts/TQ-47-2-0623-01.htm

I've done 60, 80, and 90 depending on the style for the last 8 batches. Clarity has suffered with US-05 and Denny's when I recirculated through bottom and racking ports. It could be other causes but I assumed I'd want to let the material get out of solution as soon as possible.

Latest posts

Back