Wort left in pump lines? (eBIAB)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntb

Reaction score
What does everyone with recirculating eBIAB do with the wort in the pump tubes after mashing? Are you still recirculating during the boil? Do you drain it before chilling? I tested my pump for the first time tonight and was lost when I went to turn the pump off. Water on the floor I guess...

What does everyone with recirculating eBIAB do with the wort in the pump tubes after mashing? Are you still recirculating during the boil? Do you drain it before chilling? I tested my pump for the first time tonight and was lost when I went to turn the pump off. Water on the floor I guess...

my pump is mounted to the base of my kettle so if I want to drain the lineI just disconnect the top hose and lower it so it drains into a quart measuring cup I use ..then I dump that back in..

my pump is mounted to the base of my kettle so if I want to drain the lineI just disconnect the top hose and lower it so it drains into a quart measuring cup I use ..then I dump that back in..

Yep. I just *carefully* tip the pump towards a pitcher or clean bucket, open the ball valve, and let everything drain into the pitcher like that, and then dump it back into the pot before I start the boil.

I don't do BIAB but I do use a pump to transfer the wort from the mash tun to the boil kettle, and I always have a little left over. I simply leave it in. The last 15 minutes of the boil I fire up the pump to flow hot wort through the plate chiller to sanitize it. That sends whatever unboiled wort was in the pump right back into the BK.

-Kevin

Latest posts

Back