Wort is oily

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBRbrew

THIS IS MY BREWSTICK!!!
Reaction score
Just wondering if I should be worried my wort seemed oily on my lips when I tasted it before bottling. Never had that before but this is my first dry hop

7# 2 row
.5# victory
Mash at 153 for 60mim
60min boil
1oz centennial at 20 min for bittering
Ferment at 68
Dry hop with 1oz galaxy 1 oz azacca and 1 oz citrate for 7 days
O.G was 1.057
F.G. was 1.01
Yeast was us05
Thanks for any help I kinda just threw this together so if I did something dumb please let me know I'm a noob.

I don't see anything there to cause "oily." Maybe diacetyl, at a guess. Did it taste buttery/butterscotch-y at all?

It tasted kinda bland actually, the bitterness was there from the centennial and it smelled amazing. But very little flavor and left a oily like film on my lips. forgot to mention it was a 3 gallon batch. my first thought was to many hops in the dry hop and it was hop oil.

Can’t help you with the “oily” sensation, but,

as soon as the yeast hits it, it’s not wort anymore, it’s beer.
My bad like I said I'm a noob thanks for the input I'll post again when its carbed up

Well I popped the first bottle and I'd say it's a solid pale ale, aroma is fantastic very tropical, i wanted more tropical flavor in it. Might try a late hop addition with the same hops I dry hopped with or a hop stand a 165 for 20 min or so to get more flavor, but I'm happy with it, thanks for the help.

Here's a pic

Attachments

• 20200722_174204.jpg
    20200722_174204.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back