Wort hog pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalchef1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has used the wort hog pump yet? They are cheap and the specs seem really good but without reviews I'm always hesitant to make a purchase.

I have one. I bought instead of a chugger. A friend of mine has since given me a chugger. The pump is ok but not as powerful as the chugger. for the little extra cost I would go with one of the more popular brands.

I have one. I bought instead of a chugger. A friend of mine has since given me a chugger. The pump is ok but not as powerful as the chugger. for the little extra cost I would go with one of the more popular brands.
Tell me more..
The specs say it can handle higher temperatures than all the others and it seems convenient and also a bonus that it's smaller.
If the only downside it the fact it's a bit slower... That doesn't bother me much.
Do you have more negatives to say about it?

IMO the slower pump is better suited to homebrewing if you use herms or rim or a plate chiller of a pump to sparge ... well just about most home brewing tasks.. This is why while I own riptides and even a 48gpm brewing pump at the nanobrewery, I see no reson to upgrade from my small tan 24v pumps at home. in fact I went with 2 24v 7gpm TD5 pumps for my 3bbl brewhouse and watertests show they work very well for the speeds I want with the riptide for whatever faster pumping I might need. I do like how quickly the riptide come apart and since its actually a March made pump March has released the same TC head as an upgrade to their older style pumps.

IMO the slower pump is better suited to homebrewing if you use herms or rim or a plate chiller of a pump to sparge ... well just about most home brewing tasks.. This is why while I own riptides and even a 48gpm brewing pump at the nanobrewery, I see no reson to upgrade from my small tan 24v pumps at home. in fact I went with 2 24v 7gpm TD5 pumps for my 3bbl brewhouse and watertests show they work very well for the speeds I want with the riptide for whatever faster pumping I might need. I do like how quickly the riptide come apart and since its actually a March made pump March has released the same TC head as an upgrade to their older style pumps.
It sounds like you have not used one but look at the specs for the warthog and tell me what you think??, I would not mind getting perspective from someone who has used several other pumps

I do in fact own the "wort hog" only I own the version thats not rebranded. they really topsflo td5 pumps and brewpi sells the speed control version I have 2 of in my 3bbl setup. brewhardware.com sells them too... worthog pairs them with a powersupply in a box and rebranded them.

I do in fact own the "wort hog" only I own the version thats not rebranded. they really topsflo td5 pumps and brewpi sells the speed control version I have 2 of in my 3bbl setup. brewhardware.com sells them too... worthog pairs them with a powersupply in a box and rebranded them.
Would you buy them again if needed or use a different pump?

Would you buy them again if needed or use a different pump?
I would buy again. They are quieter and 24v so they use less power and the version I have with the speed controller means I can adjust flow without using a ballvalve on the output.

heres the same pump for less from one of the best vendors on this site IMO

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/topsfloss.htm

he also did a nice side by side comparison review...
https://www.brewhardware.com/category_s/1836.htm

Back