Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerly

Reaction score
Do you use one continous long piece of copper, or has anyone soldered pieces together? I'm sure that one long piece is best, but I could only find ten foot long sections at the store. Has anyone done it that way, using sections? How well does it work?

I'd be afraid of the solder being present in the boil. Even if it is lead free. But then again, I have soldered my lauter tun manifold. This is exposed to up to 170F

Kai

You are looking in the wrong place at the hardware store. You do not want the rigid copper, you want the flexible copper that comes in a coil. You should be able to buy it in 25 or 50 ft lengths.

Monster Mash said:
You are looking in the wrong place at the hardware store. You do not want the rigid copper, you want the flexible copper that comes in a coil. You should be able to buy it in 25 or 50 ft lengths.

Note also the OD of the tubing and pick up some adaptors so you can use standard connections. The soft, coiled tubing is easy to work into a smaller circle. I use a cornie keg as my gauge and work it SLOWLY as to avoid crimps.

I thought I was going to have to use a pieced together coil of copper when I made my chiller, since I was getting it for free from a family memeber in the hvac industry... but he ended up hooking me up with a solid coil.. I wasnt worried though.. he said thats what they use when they plumb houses and there isnt a problem... I'm not an expert though...

Jester

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to look harder for the copper. I was half feeling doubtful about soldering it together, but half happy that each 10' section was only $5.29.

Anyone know of something else besides a corny that is the right width to wrap it around? I don't have any cornies yet.

jerly said:
Thanks for the replies. I'll have to look harder for the copper. I was half feeling doubtful about soldering it together, but half happy that each 10' section was only $5.29.

Anyone know of something else besides a corny that is the right width to wrap it around? I don't have any cornies yet.
I used a one gallon paint can for my immersion chiller.

Monster Mash said:

VERY cool sculptures BTW.... :mug: Major League Jealous... ;)

Ize

My local Ace Hardware has 25' coils for around $30. Go to a plumbing supply house, they'll have longer coils if you want, and their price should be a little better. Or do what I did for my tubing, trade a plumber (my brother) some homebrew for the tubing!

Back