Wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macnevind

Reaction score
I am currently starting to build a herms system out of kegs. I was pouring a beer out of my old soda machine and got thinking, maybe I could modify it a bit and use it to chill my wort. I searched the forums and couldn't find any information on this idea. Has anyone tried this or is it a really bad idea. Maybe cool too much? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Not really sure how it works but if warm liquid goes in and cold liquid comes out, you can use it to chill as long as you can adjust the temp so it isn't too cold. Just keep in mind that you don't need an overcomplicated chiller. You will also need to clean it. If it has a lot of parts, cleaning could be annoying

I think that maybe if you made your HERMS coil keg into a boil kettle also, that could work. If it already had the coil in it then you just hook it up to your hose at the end when you want to cool the wort. That would clean out the coil as well.

Not really sure how it works but if warm liquid goes in and cold liquid comes out, you can use it to chill as long as you can adjust the temp so it isn't too cold. Just keep in mind that you don't need an overcomplicated chiller. You will also need to clean it. If it has a lot of parts, cleaning could be annoying
it's basically a refrigerated box filled with water with a small diameter coil inside. I'm thinking about removing the coil and putting a larger diameter one in there with a line in and out for the pump. It may cool too much but I think I'll try it.

Sort of like a counterflow but the water isn't flowing lol. Not sure how well it would work. I assume the water inside is close to freezing. Once wort goes through, that water will heat up quickly. Since the water isn't flowing, it will get hot fast and not chill anymore.

Sort of like a counterflow but the water isn't flowing lol. Not sure how well it would work. I assume the water inside is close to freezing. Once wort goes through, that water will heat up quickly. Since the water isn't flowing, it will get hot fast and not chill anymore.

Yeah I'd say you are right. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back