Wort chiller ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmmbeeer

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm fairly new here, and wanted to poll for ideas on how best to chill my wort.

I'll soon be putting a March pump into my brewing system. I got it mostly for transferring water and wort, but am now wondering how to best use it for chilling.

Right now I just gravity feed from my BK to the fermenter through a Chillzilla CFC. I have a hop stopper screen to filter out hops/trub. I also have a 25' x 3/8" IC which I use as a pre-chiller. The IC doesn't fit well in my kettle with the hop stopper in place.

Should I keep doing the same thing, but just pump it? Or how about a whirlpool-like setup where I send the output from the CFC back to the BK? This would help bring the temp down for the entire wort volume in the kettle, but are there issues with chilling wort and then reheating it by sending it back to the kettle?

Any advice would be appreciated.

i use an IC in my BK to chill. I am planning to modify my BK and use one of my 2 pumps to run a whirlpool while the IC is running. im hoping that by moving the hot wort around my IC coils it will chill faster

Back