Wort chiller froze and cracked. Can I fix it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jolly McStanson

Reaction score
The water that was still inside must have expanded and split the copper tube. I know how to solder and sweat copper pipe. I'm wondering if I can do the same thing for the wort chiller. Cut the bad peace out and splice the chiller back together.

Can it be done?

The water that was still inside must have expanded and split the copper tube. I know how to solder and sweat copper pipe. I'm wondering if I can do the same thing for the wort chiller. Cut the bad peace out and splice the chiller back together.

Can it be done?

As long as it is not a CFC I don't see why not.

Just came back from the plumbing place and the guy gave me a two part epoxy putty. He said it will work just fine after I showed the cracks in the chiller.

I think JB weld is food grade....I don't know about boiling it though. I say use the coupler....you'll be glad you did. Oh, this goes without saying....but you're gonna need to op-check your chiller each time you use it. If one leak springs in your wort, you're gonna be looking at some low OG's :D

JB Weld is non-toxic, but is not listed as food grade in the description on their website. It will easily withstand boiling temperatures.
I'd use the coupler though.

Thanks guys, great advice. Blowing it out with the compressor is a great idea, plus putting it down cellar after I'm done using it. Its been really cold here In Newport Rhode Island lately.

Ahhhhhh, balls........ Mine is in the garage... Mental note to check tonight.

Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap........

Read about some tests done on this MIGHTY PUTTY and the results were pretty abismal... if you are thinking of using THIS stuff, just get the JB putty.

JB weld can withstand like +500F temps, boiling water will actualy help it cure (lil tip for ya)

Dunno if I would use it in contact with potable water, but it is pretty amazing material.

Compressed air? I've just been using ye olde lung power, and I still haven't gotten around to cutting down my 50' monstrosity CFC yet.

Maybe all those years of trumpet and French Horn were good for something after all… :)

Oh, this goes without saying....but you're gonna need to op-check your chiller each time you use it. If one leak springs in your wort, you're gonna be looking at some low OG's :D

I knew right away, because the ice cold water coming from the fawcett and leaking into the red hot wort creates an interesting reaction. It started bubbling and rolling like crazy. I yanked out the chiller right away.

I then pored the wort into three different pots over and over till it cooled to pitching temp. In the cold it took about 30 minutes. It got so aerated that I had to put a blow off tube on the fermenter an hour later....Kidding but it got working sooner then any beer Iv ever made.

Hey Jolly - must be a RI epidemic. Had the same thing happen on Saturday in Westerly. Thanks for posting - now I know how to fix it. And I won't be storing my chiller on the porch any more. I should have taken a closer look when I saw a small bit of ice in the bottom keggle - I just figured that some snow had blown in, melted, and re-froze.

Just an update. The putty worked for one batch, but not the next. I found it was leaking as I was mashing the grains. Not a good time to find out, lol.

The copper tubing is an odd ball size and I couldn't find a coupling that will fit it nice. I was forced to use a bigger coupling and keep filling the space with solder. I let it harden then carefully sweat some more in. I didn't think it was going to work but it did. I was doing this wile my wort was boiling away out on the back patio. I barely got it done and cleaned up in time.

They guy at the plumbing place said the copper tubing may have expanded when it froze, that's why its an odd ball size now.

Back