Wort Chiller and temp probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozengator

Reaction score
How do you brewers get your wort chiller in the pot if a permanent probe is 4 inchs into the pot?

Well... based on the size of your pot and the size of your chiller, it will either fit or not. But iIf there isn't room, I would recommend getting a false bottom that would sir above the probe to protect it and still be able to use the chiller

Remove the probe and plug the hole. If you can't chill the wort the temp probe isn't doing you any good.

Alternatively, if you use a bucket fermenter, pour the hot wort in there and then chill it. The bucket may soften a little but it won't melt.

build or buy a counterflow chiller, if you can build it expect to pay in the 40-50 dollar range for everything for a 25 ft counterflow,

Thanks I was just curious before I drill the second hole if it is even worth it

yeah, not worth it.

doubly not worth it if you don't do biab since boiling is boiling...

You could build your own immersion chiller and bend the coils upward around the probe. Wouldn't be that hard.

Or you could replace the thermometer with one that has a shorter probe. I have a 10 gallon kettle with a 2" temp probe. My home made chiller fits around it nicely.

Back