wort aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shake the bucket/Carboy for a few minutes. Some people use oxygen and aeration stones. Just stirring won't give you as much oxygen as you could get from a simple vigorous shaking of the vessel for a few minutes. yeasties NEED Oxygen.

When siphoning from the kettle to the carboy I just had the hose all the way up at the top and let it splash in and gave it a 15 second shake once it was full and fermentation took off within 12 hours.

Don't worry about it. Unless you did a full boil for 60+ minutes, your wort has enough oxygen for the yeast to do its job. Especially if you're using dry yeast.

I just finished a brown ale that I just drained into the carboy from my chiller with the hose at the top of the carboy to get some areation. I had a good solid stream of bubbles within 4 hours. The only stirring mine gets is when I move the carboy into the house after brewing.

more aeration helps the yeasties set forth and multiply....I find it helps get an active fermentation up quickly. But you still get good beer not aerating the wort. I remember my first few brews I didn't do any aeration because I didn't know about it. Probably just the process of dumping the boil and adding more water to the fermentation bucket helped introduce enough oxygen for the beer to ferment fully. Well that, and I think I was mainly using dried yeast that I'd mix in. So, my early brews could be considered the minimum aerate by stirring method. When I started getting into all grain, then I added an aeration stone in case there was being too much oxygen being boiled off with all the wort needing a boil.

+1 to cheap and easy aeration gadget. I use that and hold it at the top of the bucket. Has worked very well. See results in about 4 hours on my last 3 batches.

Thanks, Yea I've got my second batch in primary fermenter 1st batch in bottles. I stirred both, the airlock started bubbling within 24 hours and stopped completely within 3 days. Then on the 7th day I bottle, no secondary, but I'm doing a hefe so I want it cloudy!

I've read a study where they claim that simply shaking the fermenter does a better job than even O2 and stones. I run my hot wort through a counter-flow chiller and through a strainer, and drop it hard into the bucket.

I believe that study was only done on WATER though, not WORT.

I used 2 gallons top off (Non boiled spring, not distilled, should
have oxygen still in it) and poured the wort through a funnel
making it splash.

Fermentation took off within 12 hours and is still churning after 2
days. From what I've read, aeration is only really an issue when
the water used for the wort has ALL been boiled. Using top off
and pouring the wort seems to do the trick.

From what I've read, aeration is only really an issue when
the water used for the wort has ALL been boiled. Using top off
and pouring the wort seems to do the trick.

Wonder if there's still enough O2 in the water if it's all been boiled in an AG wort. Might need to devise my own study, as all my AG beer has been aerated. Anecdotal evidence of when I was an extract brewer would agree with you that topping off has enough oxygen for fermentation. I'm almost afraid to try overlooking aeration for my next AG batch for science, though!! :D:mug:

The warmer the water gets, the less Oxygen remains
in solution. I'm not sure if you can extrapolate this all
the way up to our F temps we reach, but here's what
I found:

Deg.F.....(mg/l) dissolved oxygen
32--------15
41--------13
50--------11
59--------10
68--------9
77--------8

From department of Energy:

"If one looks at the solubility curve for oxygen gas, plotted as milligrams of oxygen
dissolved per 1000 g of water, the solubility of oxygen at 0 degrees C is about
twice its solubility at 30 degrees C. As the temperature of the water goes up, the
lower the concentration of dissolved oxygen gas. Simply stated, the water
temperature helps determine the maximum amount of oxygen gas that water can
dissolve. This dissolved oxygen concentration, in turn, helps determine water's
ability to support oxygen-consuming creatures. Water temperature also effects the
amount of oxygen actually needed by aquatic organisms. A 10 degree temperature
rise roughly doubles the rate or speeds of many chemical reactions in the water
environment. Cooling a system down by 10 degrees slows down the rates of such
reactions by a similar factor. During warm summer months, competition among water
inhabitants for dissolved oxygen can become quite severe. With rising water
temperatures, bacteria and fish require more oxygen. But warmer water is unable
to dissolve as much oxygen gas. After a long stretch of hot summer days, some
streams experience large fish kills, in which many fish suffocate."

There was also talk about that aeration study and aeration podcasts at this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/surprising-aeration-results-79762/

I would venture to say that boiled water at least LIKELY has too little oxygen to
provide an optimal environment for fermentation.

Back