Worst fast food ideas resulting in horrible food

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Still Brewn

Reaction score
The wife and I were running errands a few weeks ago and we needed lunch. We happen to be driving by a Burger King so the wife says let's grab a taco, I of course look at her like I'm fully challenged so she says "no they have tacos now, let's try one". I of course think it is a bad idea but SWMBO is excited about the idea. She orders 2 and since I hadn't eaten all day and it is going on 4 I order 3 and some fries.

First off it barely looks like food, it looks more like some food a 1 year old played with and then was thrown away. The shells were rock hard in places and mushy in others. The inside had something resembling dries out wet cat food but much darker. When I took out one of the lumps that should have been meat it crumbled like it was nothing but TVP (textured vegetable protein) absolutely no meat texture to it what so ever. The flavor was no better, more like a something ate a taco and then regurgitated it onto a taco shell and added fresh lettuce.

In conclusion Burger King.... Stick to what you know, Burgers - flame broiled. Oh and we ate the fries and went somewhere else.

Worst fast food ideas resulting in horrible food? Wouldn’t that be pretty much all fast food?

I have to disagree at least locally we have a number of fast food places that are above the standard fare but pretty much only local. Runza for runza and onion rings, Honest Abes for burgers out of the ordinary, Don & Millies for the Double Don cheese burger with onion rings and $1 margaritas all day. The one thing I really miss is a good cheese steak hoagie. There has not been a good cheese steak around here since the Chartreuse Caboose closed years ago.

Burger King is doubling down. They have a new flame-broiled veggie burger. That's next on your list to try and then report back to us on it.

Yes I saw an advertisement for that today. That is definitly not on my to try list. I'm skinny enough so eating fake food is not in my diet. I don't eat reduced fat, low calorie, diet anything. I even avoid lite beer.

My worst fast food concept I had was a cheeseburger pizza from Papa John's. They actually put ketchyp, mayo and mustard as the sauce, and pickles, cheddar, tomato, ground beef, lettuce and onion as the toppings. We took a few bites and threw it out...disgusting...and we love cheeseburgers with those toppings usually...

i heard someone else a while back describing BK's tacos the same way...(but, i'm still a huge fan Jack in the box's)

I even avoid lite beer.

luckier then me...if i don't weigh everything i eat, and write it down, AND add gluco to all my beer i'd weigh over 200lb's....

KFC went through a phase where they thought cramming more food into a bowl magically made it tastier.

I mean, if that’s what you want, break out the blender and drink a chicken, potato, corn, cheese, and gravy smoothie.

By the way, I am pro-veggie burgers at fast food chains. I’m eating 90% to 95% vegan these days. I only had one meal this week that wasn’t vegan. It was a cheeseless Reuben.

KFC went through a phase where they thought cramming more food into a bowl magically made it tastier.

I mean, if that’s what you want, break out the blender and drink a chicken, potato, corn, cheese, and gravy smoothie.

That heart-attack-in-a-bowl just doesn't look appetizing at all.

5b2c58ca4488b3000927fa45-original.jpg

Burger King is doubling down. They have a new flame-broiled veggie burger. That's next on your list to try and then report back to us on it.
Burger King has bought into the "Impossible Burger" hype. Here's just one of the numerous articles that talks about the toxic slurry Impossible Burgers are made of. Even the FDA isn't sure they are safe for human consumption.
https://livingmaxwell.com/gmo-impossible-burger-glyphosate

My opinion: Beyond Burgers > Impossible Burgers. Carl’s Jr. has Beyond Burgers for $1 more than their regular meat.

There is something creepy about the way Impossible Burgers taste. When I’m eating a veggie burger, it’s primarily because I want the format, not the flavor.

Jack in the Box tacos are nasty. And not drunk food nasty. Just nasty nasty. Sounds like BK is serving the same thing.

Anything at Long John Silvers. It all tastes the same, like greasy cut bait deep fried too long at too low a temperature.

McDonald's. We call it McGraymeat. Haven't ate there in over a decade, at least.

Little Cesar's made a nacho cheese pizza. Their pizza is already not good. This abomination was horrible. It was simultaneously too sweet and too salty, and it didn't taste like cheese at all.

Fastaco. Pretty sure they just melted shredded yellow plastic and called it cheese.

That cheeseburger pizza. I didn't have it with condiment sauce. Thankfully. I had it with grease sauce. Not good.

That said, Braums and Burger Box are pretty good. So is Steak and Shake. DQ, too.

I avoid counter service....

If I have to, I'll go to Steak n Shake. You sit down, a server takes your order and brings it on an actual plate, and you can see them working the flat top. It's almost real, even if it's still just a "concept." And the food is pretty good.

...a cheeseless Reuben.

Because it's not the half pound of corned beef, ladle of Russian dressing, and butter-soaked grilled bread that's bad for you... take off the cheese, and the sauerkraut makes it count as a serving of veggies! [emoji6]

I wish that was it.

My lactose intolerance has gotten quite severe over the last couple years. At this point, there’s no difference for me between diary and food poisoning. Both result in having to spend 24 hours within running distance of a toilet.

I wish that was it.

My lactose intolerance has gotten quite severe over the last couple years. At this point, there’s no difference for me between diary and food poisoning. Both result in having to spend 24 hours within running distance of a toilet.

Yikes. Sorry.

Wow! I had an impossible whopper the other day and thought it was good, not great. I guess that was a one time purchase! Thanks for the info!

Eh. Glyphosate is the new bugaboo of the "organic luddite-ism" crowd. We just had a story posted on HBT a few weeks ago about nearly all beer testing positive for Glyphosate, and that will include our homebrew because our grain (and possibly also the hops) come from the same sources.

I'm not saying the Impossible Burger is healthy, but when I see the url "livingmaxwell.com" and all the scare mongering over Glyphosate, my BS detector is already in the red.

Runza is "above the standard fare"???

Yikes...
Well I'm not a big runza fan... The wife likes them. I like the onion rings. But that aside it is far better than the dehydrated and then rehydrated, machine formed onion rings that BK serves. I don't mind the Swiss cheese mushroom runza. And is 10 steps above the "taco" thing I got from BK and better than anything I have gotten from Wendy's since I was in high school 30 plus years ago.

The wife and I were running errands a few weeks ago and we needed lunch. We happen to be driving by a Burger King so the wife says let's grab a taco, I of course look at her like I'm fully challenged so she says "no they have tacos now, let's try one". I of course think it is a bad idea but SWMBO is excited about the idea. She orders 2 and since I hadn't eaten all day and it is going on 4 I order 3 and some fries.

First off it barely looks like food, it looks more like some food a 1 year old played with and then was thrown away. The shells were rock hard in places and mushy in others. The inside had something resembling dries out wet cat food but much darker. When I took out one of the lumps that should have been meat it crumbled like it was nothing but TVP (textured vegetable protein) absolutely no meat texture to it what so ever. The flavor was no better, more like a something ate a taco and then regurgitated it onto a taco shell and added fresh lettuce.

In conclusion Burger King.... Stick to what you know, Burgers - flame broiled. Oh and we ate the fries and went somewhere else.
Wife and I dont usually eat fast food . We went a few years without but if we happen to be out and I start to get my hypoglycemia kicking in , we have to pull into somewhere to feed me . We would rather find an actual sit down meal but sometimes time doesnt always allow.
The "fast foods " we do like without issue.
Five Guys burgers
Chipotle(unfortunately we dont know of any in or around Huntsville)
Sonic
and believe it or not McDs has changed their burgers . It actually kind of tastes like it did many years ago. Like meat.
Jack's
Hardees(breakfast biscuits)

The few that we have had recently that do cause issue...(usually a run to the bathroom in 30 minutes or less after eating)
KFC
Popeyes

5 guys is ok I have had that a couple of times.
Chipotle not so much, never once have I gotten a properly cooked meal from there. The 4-5 times I did go the food was cold. Haven't been there in close to 10 years. We have a better place to go get big burritos but I can't think of the name.
I bought all my employees sonic breakfast burritos one day. The ones that had jalapeno peppers on them made everyone sick. When some place closes your business for 3 days due to food poisoning you kinda gotta give it up. Haven't been there since.
KFC makes my wife sick from the salt they use and last time I had it there was still raw batter on the chicken. That was 15 years ago.
Popeyes I didn't mind until they were bought by a foreign company and changed batter on the chicken strips so they could sell smaller pieces of chicken but I prefer Churches. Unfortunately not one around here.
No jacks or Hardee's around here.

We have different fast-food joints than you(except the ever-present clown).

Hesburger is our version of mcd's and better basic quality while still managing to serve utterly forgettable food.
Kotipizza is your basic chain pizza place, decent ingredients, always the same, but overpriced compared to indie places.
Best fastfood here is usually "näkki-kioski" small truck/hole in the wall places that deepfry everything that won't run away too fast.

5 guys is ok I have had that a couple of times.
Chipotle not so much, never once have I gotten a properly cooked meal from there. The 4-5 times I did go the food was cold. Haven't been there in close to 10 years. We have a better place to go get big burritos but I can't think of the name.
I bought all my employees sonic breakfast burritos one day. The ones that had jalapeno peppers on them made everyone sick. When some place closes your business for 3 days due to food poisoning you kinda gotta give it up. Haven't been there since.
KFC makes my wife sick from the salt they use and last time I had it there was still raw batter on the chicken. That was 15 years ago.
Popeyes I didn't mind until they were bought by a foreign company and changed batter on the chicken strips so they could sell smaller pieces of chicken but I prefer Churches. Unfortunately not one around here.
No jacks or Hardee's around here.
Thats odd, we used to go to the Chipotle in Joliet when we lived there and it was always busy, food always hot and fresh because they sold it so fast ,in fact we had to wait a few times because theyd run out of something. Never a bad meal.

We don't go to fast food as often as it seems, we are just getting up there in age so many years of sampling places behind us. I have often thought about opening a restaraunt because I love cooking but then I think back to the long hours and hard work involved when I was managing restaraunts in my younger days. I couldn't do it today.

Now back to horrible fast food ideas .... Casey's breakfast pizza. I'm not sure what they do to it but when you mix eggs, sausage and cheese together it should taste like an omelet. In no way do those three things thrown on a pizza crust turn into an omelet at Casey's. It was so discusting that I was gagging trying to take a third bite.

Thats odd, we used to go to the Chipotle in Joliet when we lived there and it was always busy, food always hot and fresh because they sold it so fast ,in fact we had to wait a few times because theyd run out of something. Never a bad meal.

Oh it was always busy, always a wait but my food was never hot so I just quit giving them the chance to give me something that was going to make me sick. They also had/have a horrible location. (I couldn't tell you if it is still there) There were several other restaraunts in this same strip mall so getting a parking spot usually ment walking a block or two or sitting in the parking lot until someone else left. Not that I couldn't walk a block just that I always had a schedule to keep. The only reason I ever gave them a second chance was because I was out voted by other people getting lunch with me. After so many times of getting cold food I decided to just pull rank. Being the boss does have its advantages.

i heard someone else a while back describing BK's tacos the same way...(but, i'm still a huge fan Jack in the box's)

luckier then me...if i don't weigh everything i eat, and write it down, AND add gluco to all my beer i'd weigh over 200lb's....

I agree, Jack's tacos are sooo good !

Back