Worst decision ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JollyMon

Reaction score
Gave up beer for lent. I am not a happy dude. Gonna brew an Irish red on St paddy's day just to stay close to the sickness. But without a beer to drink while brewing I will surely feel the whole process is off.

Franciscan monks gave up everything else except beer for lent. They also lived off the land and donations with a bunch of other dudes in dark monasteries but at least they had priorities.

Seriously, that sucks. I can't brew without inspiration of some sort (home brew preferably). Good for you though, major dedication as far as I'm concerned.

According to my catholic girlfriend, you're allowed to cheat on sundays.... it didn't make sense to me but uh..... you know.. ;p

According to my catholic girlfriend, you're allowed to cheat on sundays.... it didn't make sense to me but uh..... you know.. ;p

Actually that is right apparently Sunday didn't count something about not working and giving up thing in your normal life and Sunday wasn't considered a standard day of course now a day Sunday is just another day but back in the day. This came from a priest I was sober when he told me and now well....... maybe tomorrow I can remember better.

Homebrewing sober is the only way to go for safety and results. there's nothing like waking up the next day and finding a bag of hops ready to be thrown in the kettle.
Lent is for suckers, what are you really trying to prove? That's a little dickish maybe but what is the point of lent?

corkybstewart said:
Homebrewing sober is the only way to go for safety and results. there's nothing like waking up the next day and finding a bag of hops ready to be thrown in the kettle.
Lent is for suckers, what are you really trying to prove? That's a little dickish maybe but what is the point of lent?

It's a spiritual journey between you and god. Something you don't understand, and nothing I would belittle someone of doing

What he is feeling is the exact point of Lent. You don't legitimately recognize Lent by giving up something you don't enjoy. The whole point, as I understand it, is to give up something important to you in a symbolic gesture of appreciation for Christ's sacrifice on your behalf. If it doesn't hurt, you're doing it wrong.

edit: Sorry if that crossed the line into pay-to-play land. Mods, feel free to delete if need be.

Selling beer at Lent fish fries brings in tons of money at my Parrish. i am sure the Pope will forgive you if you choose something else to give up1

I had a feeling this would get some attention. By the way, my intention wasn't to complain. I am happy with my decision. As someone pointed out, the whole idea is to give up something that is difficult. This has been super difficult. Do I really feel it is the worst decision ever? No. But I had a feeling it would be viewed that way by many others. And when I really want a beer, I even feel that way. Which tells me I am on the right path.

My real reason behind starting this post was to see if I got any feedback on the idea of brewing without having a beer to enjoy during the brewing process. I didn't expect this to become the debate over lenten sacrifice.

If you need a beer to enjoy brewing, you may need a new hobby. That being said, I ALWAYS have one while brewing(after the boil starts), and a hot scotchy.:cross:

Would it still be drinking if you took it intravenously? Or made it into jello?

I honestly understand the biblical reasoning on lent. But to each his own :)

Why must everything turn so negative. I haven't had a beer for 20 days now. "If I need a beer to enjoy brewing I may need a new hobby?" If you can go 20 days without anything, then by definition you don't need it.

That being said, I too always have one when brewing. And everyone I have ever spoken to about brewing always has one when brewing. And on numerous occassions I have been told that the number one rule of brewing is to have a brew while doing it (i realize that is just a funny). So the thought of brewing without is just kinda foreign to me.

Silly me for thiinking that this could just be a fun little string.

I had a feeling this would get some attention. By the way, my intention wasn't to complain. I am happy with my decision. As someone pointed out, the whole idea is to give up something that is difficult. This has been super difficult. Do I really feel it is the worst decision ever? No. But I had a feeling it would be viewed that way by many others. And when I really want a beer, I even feel that way. Which tells me I am on the right path.

My real reason behind starting this post was to see if I got any feedback on the idea of brewing without having a beer to enjoy during the brewing process. I didn't expect this to become the debate over lenten sacrifice.
To answer your question, I never drink until I have the beer going into the fermenters. It takes me about 6 hours to do a10 gallon batch, but I never feel the need to drink until the work is done. For me it's mostly a matter of safety-I have 12 gallons of boiling syrup, and an MLT full of water heating for cleanup perched on a 3 tiered system. There are hoses and electric cords on the floor, OSHA would shut me down over trip hazards so I don't want to be the least bit mentally impaired by alcohol while I'm brewing.

Doom5oh said:
How about giving up fish for lent? That would seem like a win win.

Still laughing! Nice one. Keep your chin up, Eric - Lent doesn't last forever! My advice - wait until the the to decide if it was your worst decision ever.

(and if THAT turns out to be your actual worst decision ever, you rock!)

I did that a few years back...It was hard but I can tell you one thing..That Easter afternoon beer was the best beer I remember having EVER.

The Pope said it's cool to drink on St. Patty's day. And I'm pretty sure he's a basketball fan too, so should be a good weekend ;)

Was in the airport in Munich and ordered breakfast... Silly waitress says, "Um... You know that comes with a beer, right?"

Duh... :D beer for breakfast FTW!

GoGreenEric said:
Gave up beer for lent. I am not a happy dude. Gonna brew an Irish red on St paddy's day just to stay close to the sickness. But without a beer to drink while brewing I will surely feel the whole process is off.

I gave up one beer a nite for lent. That's how I roll.

I don't observe Lent, but I gave up beer out of solidarity for my friends (and because I drink too much). However, I gave myself an out: I allow one day a week to drink. I chose Saturday. So far, so good. And I didn't have to fully give up beer for 40 days.

I gave up beer and meat last year for Lent. THAT was the worst decision ever! Never give up two things for Lent! That being said, I was glad that I did it in the end. It's hard, but You'll make it through.

And I brewed a couple off times without a beer during that time and I enjoyed the process just as much as I do when I'M having a beer or two while brewing. God luck with you're Irish Red!

Back