Worst Cooks in America

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillPall

Reaction score
Okay, I know brewing is somewhat analogous to cooking, so we're probably all decent cooks here, but I don't get it. I'm watching Worst Cooks in America on the Food Network and these people are horrible. I don't even understand how someone can be so bad at some of the easiest foods ever. Oh wow, this woman just ruined canned soup. Can someone enlighten me here? I mean, I'm not a great cook, but I can at least cook edible pasta. Anybody know why it's so hard for these people to make mac and cheese?

this generation of kids is what worries me, most of em couldn't make a bowl of ramen in the microwave without adult assistance.

this generation of kids is what worries me, most of em couldn't make a bowl of ramen in the microwave without adult assistance.

Way back in the day of my freshman year of college - some moron set off the fire alarm at 3AM during exam week trying to make ... EASY MAC. Yes, he couldn't figure out the microwave version of mac 'n cheese.

I'd hope it's just blind ambition putting these people on TV, but I saddly admit, I think some of these are real.

My first wife ignited a tv dinner in our brand new oven.

She also over cooked a simple box cake mix.
I blame Video games and the rift in family life !

Is this on right now?!?!? Aha, yes, here it is!!!! Thank you WillPall!

No problem! Apparently there's a new one coming on at 10 EST as well.

My first wife ignited a tv dinner in our brand new oven.

She also over cooked a simple box cake mix.
I blame Video games and the rift in family life !

I'll blame those things as well, but mainly I'm going to blame McDonald's. People used to have to cook to eat. Now, if you're bad at it, you never have to own an oven.

LOL! I like it! I'm gonna watch it at 10:00pm EST. Thanks for the tip, Willy! Here is the youtube preview:

As far as looking like an idiot on TV: my cousin stars and she is also involved in producing of one of those "reality shows" soon to be released on one of the networks (not the Food Network). Let me tell you something, there is very little "reality" in those "reality" shows, and the actors do not really compete for the price: the real price is braking into acting, getting your own show, having your name recognised. Who knows, some of those guys could be exellent cooks in the real life :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It is hard to imagine, but who knows. My MIL was able to burn (char) some chicken in a crock pot.

It seems that you almost have to be a total idiot to get on TV. I guess it makes sense though: I'm really enjoying watching these people ruin this food.

Aw, now why do you want to go and encourage them like that? All it takes is a little internet buzz and they'll keep making reality shows for another year.

I miss Julia Child.

Dave

I watched it. I might watch it again. The episode I watched was a bit silly, as I'm sure they'll all be. It'd be much better if they picked a single, basic technique on which to focus, then evaluated a dish highlighting that technique. Best use of said technique wins. Instead, they demonstrate a moderately complex dish that must be replicated exactly. One of the expert chefs said his recipe for seafood "couldn't be simpler." I beg to differ. Though the ingredient list was short, and the broth was very basic, it's exceedingly easy to screw up shellfish.

I watched it. I might watch it again. The episode I watched was a bit silly, as I'm sure they'll all be. It'd be much better if they picked a single, basic technique on which to focus, then evaluated a dish highlighting that technique. Best use of said technique wins. Instead, they demonstrate a moderately complex dish that must be replicated exactly. One of the expert chefs said his recipe for seafood "couldn't be simpler." I beg to differ. Though the ingredient list was short, and the broth was very basic, it's exceedingly easy to screw up shellfish.

I could not agree more. Teach someone how cook a simple chicken breast. Or a Med-rare steak with a simple side dish.

Yeah, I just watched the second episode a bit ago, and it wasn't quite what I expected from the first. Like you said, too silly. Way too much crying as well. Apparently not only are these people idiots (or maybe geniuses), they're losers as well. I'm sure there was more going on than what they showed on air, but I think they could have devoted a whole episode just to knife skills and it would have been just as entertaining and educational to boot.

I've seen both episodes and just feel like all this show is trying to do is humiliate people that at least seem willing to learn some culinary skills. My personal opinion is that this show could have been great had Alton Brown hosted it and simply taught the basics. Who has a teppanyaki flattop in their home kitchen?

The more I see of Food Network, the more I feel they are getting farther away from culinary television and into some psuedo-VH1 reality drivel. I seem to get more information and technique from the weekend PBS shows (Rick Bayless, Jacque Pepin/Julia Childs, Cooks Illustrated) and I'll take my culinary entertainment from Bourdain and Top Chef.

When I saw the name of the show I was really hoping that this would show would be more about teaching these people to actually cook and not just yelling at them for it being wrong and kicking people off. To me the whole premise of the show is dumb, could have been a lot better if it was more based on teaching techniques and terms then a bunch of people just trying to replicate a recipe perfectly.

Hibachi cooking is not for people that cannot safely use a true kitchen knife.....

Moreover, who in their right mind would give people that are that bad at cooking top quality knifes.

Too much too soon. I really do hope that they give those people off camera training.

I agree with others, this show is definitely designed for drama and not to teach people how to cook. Gordon Ramsay's "cook a long live" is a better example of teaching people how to cook, but even it could be a lot better.

When I saw the first episode and that seafood stew, I was shocked. I love cooking and that is something I wouldn't ever make. Start with the basics - cook an egg, roast some veg, cook some asparagus. It's pretty obvious the show isn't about teaching , especially the audience, they never share technique or preparation tidbits.

"That being said", I'll probably watch it.

I couldn't get my head around the 'contest' premise... You're not even trying to improve as a contestant, just be less worse than someone else! Silly. FoodNetwork has gone downhill and I can barely stand to watch any of the 'cooking' shows now. Honestly it's become tune in to see which TV stereotype will open which cans and reheat something. Give me back Mario, Jamie, and shoot even freakin' Emril. Man even Good Eats this season has been less about cooking than about food types and Alton's diet.

Back