Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of times I am looking for a little buzz to start my night off or to save dough at a bar I will grab a 40 of mickeys, old milwaukee, or miller highlife to drink before going out, but the other day I was forced into a 32 oz of miller light. I can't think of a time when I liked the stuff but these cans must have been in that store for years it was the grossest beer I've ever had. Almost dumped it after the first sip... almost.

Did you ever try the "Premium Beer" in green writing?
In Taiwan, I drink heineken.

I taught English in Taiwan for a spell. Their national beer "Taiwan Beer" in a can with blue writing.

Close second is that swill by Sleemans called Clear.

Sam Adams cranberry lambic is pretty damn gross. I've not met anyone who can finish or actually enjoy a 12oz bottle. It's weird cause all other SA are tasty!

cowboyspoon said:
Sam Adams cranberry lambic is pretty damn gross. I've not met anyone who can finish or actually enjoy a 12oz bottle. It's weird cause all other SA are tasty!

I got a sam adams variety pack 2 years ago and I stopped drinking when I was on the cranberry lambic, its pretty horrible.

It's also horribly misnamed. There's nothing remotely 'lambic' about it. It's some kind of berlinerweisse yeast with juice added.

Sixpoint Diesel. At first it had an interesting character of the hops (best guess is chinook) playing on the roasted barley, but a few sips in it tasted like choking down a bottle of pine sol. The chinook is just too over powering. It took a couple other drinks and a good amount of time to get the taste out of my mouth. I didnt think I would ever find a micro brew that i would rather BMC over because there isnt much i wont drink, but i stand corrected.

It's also horribly misnamed. There's nothing remotely 'lambic' about it. It's some kind of berlinerweisse yeast with juice added.

Luckily they took it out of the Holiday Variety pack. I think the pack has a good assortment of beers now, especially with the addition of the coffee stout.

TheBusterBrew said:
Sam Adams Bonfire Rauchbier threw me for a loop. Didn't think it would taste so strongly like ashes straight out of the fire pit.

Oh I managed to block the memory about that one but I recall dumping that one too.

If i recall correctly it was the after taste that was the worst part. Somewhere between spoiled meat and that off flavor of a camp fire hot dog that fell in the coals.

Oh I managed to block the memory about that one but I recall dumping that one too.

If i recall correctly it was the after taste that was the worst part. Somewhere between spoiled meat and that off flavor of a camp fire hot dog that fell in the coals.

I'll third that. We had a happy hour for work and someone brought a mixed Sam Adams pack, and the Rauchbier tasted like pure anus. I drank a few of sips and ditched it.

i liked the rauchbier, but then again i was smoking a pork butt so smoke was everywhere (and i used to smoke). and i was buzzing already.

Alpine Lager, an offshoot of Moosehead I believe, and more recently Rolling Rock. So. Damn. Bland. Probably nothing really wrong with them, but Alpine always tasted the way Killex smelled to me, and I had a Rolling Rock towards the end of a long night of drinking micro brewed Imperial Stout, ESB and a couple drinks of Macallan's 18YO.

rolling rock was bad for me. i didn't like it in the first place because i thought it tasted like corn. then i got sick that night (unrelated to rolling rock). and now i can't drink it.

I visited friends in Austin for my bachelor party a few months back. Of course, I didn't buy a drink that night and instead kept getting fed:

1) Shiner Bock (bearable)
2) Shots of various assortments (somewhat bearable)
3) Lone Star Beer (absolutely the most vile beer I've ever put in my mouth, give me a 40 oz. of King Cobra over this stuff)

Of course, I'm sure the lingering taste of jager and vomit in my mouth didn't help!

I went to Iowa once to visit family and was fed old milwaukee and sweet corn for about a week. The sweet corn was great but a couldn't drink another Milwaukee for money.

rycov said:
rolling rock was bad for me. i didn't like it in the first place because i thought it tasted like corn. then i got sick that night (unrelated to rolling rock). and now i can't drink it.

I agree, Rolling Rock is terrible. Although there is one other beer I've had that is worse than Rolling Rock. Genny Summer Brew, I don't know if they even make it any more.

rycov said:

I agree Rolling Rock is terrible. Although there is one beer that I would say is even worse than Rolling Rock. Genny Summer Brew, that stuff is by far the most disgusting beer ever made.

Blatz, 1982. Mixed bag though. It was awful but I could buy lots of it. After the first one I didn't care as long as I kept it really cold.

Bud Light Chelada. The worst thing ever, and I only had a sip in college and I still remember it. As far as craft goes, the worst was a 2008 bottle of DFH Fort. Tasted like raspberry juice and grain alcohol. Don't know went wrong there, but every other Dogfish Beer I ever have had has been enjoyable.

I won't even try Chelada. I hate tomato juice (and bloody marys) so the thought of mixing that with beer just makes me avoid it like the plague.

I suppose one of these days I will end up judging fruit beers or vegetable/spice beers in some competition, and end up with a tomato beer....

Anything that came out of the trunk of my brothers 70 Chevelle had the opportunity to be the worst beer ever. It all depended on the seasons. If it was late fall / early spring you had a chance at beer that hadn't undergone either freezing or extremely hot temps.

Barring that it has to be anything Michelob. I don't understand wht they are still in business. Somehow regular Michelob gave me the squirts every time I drank it and that was from bottles.

weirdboy said:
I won't even try Chelada. I hate tomato juice (and bloody marys) so the thought of mixing that with beer just makes me avoid it like the plague.

I suppose one of these days I will end up judging fruit beers or vegetable/spice beers in some competition, and end up with a tomato beer....

Down here in southern New Mexico they drink that crap like it is going out of style. Nothing is better than going to a buddies house only to be offered a beer and getting a chelada!

I'm going to have to go with Grolsch. I bought a four pack for the nice swing top bottles, and I'll never do that again. Absolutely the most disgusting beer I can imagine drinking. I seriously poured the remaining 3 down the drain. Actually it was the toilet, since I was worried the smell might come up from my sink when I was trying to cook food. And this is from someone who spent most of my early 20's drinking King Cobra 40's, and Mickey's when I had a little more cash. I've even FINISHED a Steel Reserve 40 once, and I'd do that again before I'd drink a Grolsch.

Garth_86 said:
Really what was it about grolsch? I actually don't think its too bad

Wasn't me who made that post, but I agree. With both of you.

He indicated they were the swing-top bottles. Those happen to be green. Why some brewers put beer that gets exported across the Atlantic into green bottles is beyond me, but the result is an inevitable skunk bomb. Same thing with Pilsener Urquell and Heineken - the latter makes me snicker every time a ********* drinking the stuff (typically straight from the bottle) refer to themselves a beer snob, almost inevitably as part of a complaint about how they are "too" picky about beer.

But if it's from a can (and I assume the same for draught), it's alright. Certainly not horrible. Although of the three main euro-skunks I mentioned, Pilsener Urquell is the most notable - pretty much just as bad as the others when bottled, but when it's from a can or a keg that's reasonably fresh, it's actually a fantastic beer.

spak said:
Bud Light Chelada. The worst thing ever, and I only had a sip in college and I still remember it. As far as craft goes, the worst was a 2008 bottle of DFH Fort. Tasted like raspberry juice and grain alcohol. Don't know went wrong there, but every other Dogfish Beer I ever have had has been enjoyable.

I have to agree on the '08 Fort. Raspberries and booze and very thick. I have to wonder if it would improve with age. Regardless, that's not something I'm spending $20 on again.

Why some brewers put beer that gets exported across the Atlantic into green bottles is beyond me, but the result is an inevitable skunk bomb. Same thing with Pilsener Urquell and Heineken - the latter makes me snicker every time a ********* drinking the stuff (typically straight from the bottle) refer to themselves a beer snob, almost inevitably as part of a complaint about how they are "too" picky about beer.

But if it's from a can (and I assume the same for draught), it's alright. Certainly not horrible. Although of the three main euro-skunks I mentioned, Pilsener Urquell is the most notable - pretty much just as bad as the others when bottled, but when it's from a can or a keg that's reasonably fresh, it's actually a fantastic beer.[/QUOTE]

Funny I hear this all the time on here but every time I've bought a green bottle beer from my grocery store I've had no skunk. Maybe it's the distributors because I've had Urquell and Heineken to no ill effect.

Without a doubt, the worst beer I've ever had was the Anchor Brewing Christmas ale from 2009. It was my first real holiday-style beer and it single-handedly turned me off to holiday brews, until this year. Was dreadful - they had infused it with pine needles or something like that, but it was entirely over the top. All I could taste were pine needles - I think it's the only six pack that I've never actually finished.

Coastal Fog IPA - Labeled as an IPA but more like...a terrible....terrible...none IPA....gross...bleh.

It was the only beer I ever returned. Thankfully bevmo was accommodating even after drinking half of one. So bad...Sooooooooooooo bad.

Nope, I actually mean it. I even have a picture of me drinking it and almost throwing up. The sad part is, I was on a salmon fishing trip in Alaska and it ruined an entire night of fishing.

Deschutes "The Abyss" 2008. I know I'm going to get hell for this one, but I honestly was just not a fan. I have had much better RIS's that didn't have that really tannin bitter aftertaste that I got from this. Sorry guys, but I'm a fan of Surly Darkness.

Back