Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a Deschutes Down n Dirty IPA last week (22oz bomber). Dirty is right, the closest I can get to describe the flavor was almost quinine. Bitter out the a**, totally killed any aroma or flavor hops. At least I got another 22 for bottling!

About 20 years ago when I first started drinking I had this stuff called Pete's Wicked Brew. I think it was a rye ale, at least I remember it had a strong rye taste. Simply awful to me.
Some English import called Boddington's. I know Brits drink their beer warmer than us Yanks, but no matter how warm or cold I had to choke it down.

I'm a little older than some of ya but when I was a kid we drank this CRAP called Texas Pride. it was 1.99 a 12 pack and the only way we could actually drink the stuff was to bong it.

Yep, it was crap. Had it in high school when we would drink anything we could get our hands on.

I could probably scroll through untapped and tic off a few but most of those breweries are trying. Gotta go with schlitz malt liquor or Ballintines

Most of the beer on the shelves in my fathers garage when I was growing up. Blatz, Plain Label, Carling Black Label, Old Milwaukee. No wonder that I would get yelled at by the guys when I would steal a 12 pack. Nasty, nasty stuff.

I totally forgot about waterfront. Shipyard is so bad
Being a Mainer, I have defended Shipyard's Export Ale as a reasonable go-to in chain restaurants and other places that otherwise have only domestic AALs on tap.
That being said, Shipyard made a Black IPA a couple years ago that was positively undrinkable. It tasted like they burned some kale in a cast iron pan, then deglazed the pan with roofing tar, then ran the roofing tar through a charcoal filter and bottled it.

Being a Mainer, I have defended Shipyard's Export Ale as a reasonable go-to in chain restaurants and other places that otherwise have only domestic AALs on tap.
That being said, Shipyard made a Black IPA a couple years ago that was positively undrinkable. It tasted like they burned some kale in a cast iron pan, then deglazed the pan with roofing tar, then ran the roofing tar through a charcoal filter and bottled it.

A handful of their beers are okay...I lived in Bangor for 4 years. A lot of their beers are diacetyl bombs though, and the "head" series is awful.

Long thread and haven't read every page but didn't see Sam Adams cranberry lambic or meisterbrau. Back in college in upstate by we used to drink a lot of genny "screamers" at 5.99 a case. Also had red white and blue for less money, that was vile crap!

Long thread and haven't read every page but didn't see Sam Adams cranberry lambic or meisterbrau. Back in college in upstate by we used to drink a lot of genny "screamers" at 5.99 a case. Also had red white and blue for less money, that was vile crap!

I think the Sam Adams is interesting. I find pretty much any of their "special" beers disappointing. They should just stick to their Boston Lager.

Not sure if it counts, but I bought a variety pack of Speakeasy Ales and Lagers, they all tasted like an IPA to me. Being as I dont really like many IPA's, I though they were all horrible.

My dad use to drink Rhinelander.....by far the worse beer I ever drank. It tasted like someone already drank it. Not sure if it still exists but I think my dad use to pay $10 for 3 cases provided he gave them the empties from previous purchase.

Anyone play Edward bottle hands with colt 45s or black bull. That beer was terrible before that. Then try and drink 2 liters of it before they will untape it from your hands so you can take a pee. Makes it even worse. Damn rookie initiations.

I liked Pumking several years ago and then the next year it tasted terrible to me. Not sure if it was my pallet or the beer.

Haha just had a conversation with someone tonight about yuengling, oldest but worst brewery in America Maybe it's cause I'm from CLE. and now live in denver and spoiled

Everybody wants it around here just because you can't buy it here. In their defense I do think that the lager tastes better than most CYB.

I just got a hangover remembering genny light. No telling how many cases of that hog piss I put down in the marines.

There's this one stout that everyone goes nuts for around fall in my city. It's the only 6 pack I've over dumped after 2 sips. Night of the Living Stout by Full Pint brewing in PA. It's 7.0% super roasted lactose stout that's hopped to 106 IBU with cascade. Why the **** would you use that much hops in a stout. Literally undrinkable.

Their sours are amazing though. That's the only beer I don't like by them. But it's BAD.

I grew up in Arizona (60s & 70s), and there was nothing better than a inner-tube with an ice chest full of ice cold Coors tallboys while tubing the Gila or Salt rivers. Now that I'm all "grown up," I'd much prefer a tastier craft or homebrew than a BMC, but when you're a kid on a river in an inner-tube, who cares? It was heaven!
:mug:
PS. I know, the thread is about worst commercial beers....so, anything with Pumpkin.

I couldn't agree more. I've floated down the Yampa many a time with some Coors in tow!

My wife likes it and so do some of my coworkers, but Leinenkugel Summer Shandy is just awful to me and I can find something enjoyable about most beers.

Okay I was at a friends house, he offered me a beer and I couldn't be rude... I didn't think you could buy the generic beer in a plain aluminum can with just BEER on the label with the usual gov BS warnings. I drank 1/4 of it then said I had to go to the bathroom, took it with and dumped it. Man that was NASTY. Skunky green no clue what the heck it was made from beer.

Back