Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coors Light. It's just watered down carbonated urine. Nasty coating on your tongue that doesn't go away for 2 days. Can't drink anything from Budwiser either. Just bad stuff. Bud gives me a nasty headache, even if I only drink 1/2 a bottle.

Coors Light. It's just watered down carbonated urine. Nasty coating on your tongue that doesn't go away for 2 days. Can't drink anything from Budwiser either. Just bad stuff. Bud gives me a nasty headache, even if I only drink 1/2 a bottle.

:rolleyes: 2300 posts late there sir.

I'll take this opportunity of sarcasm to reiterate Sam Adams White Christmas. Boston Lager + tincture of potpourri and butt sweat. Received a double pour from my buddy and I.

As much as I dislike BMC, to me it's fairly inoffensive watery swill. I won't buy it for myself but I'm not going to turn one down when offered.

On the other hand, I have to say Sam Adams Cherry Wheat has to be one of the most repulsive things I've ever had. Tastes like a mixture of Robitussin and candy sugar, just awful under attenuated syrupy mess. That and Blue Moon Honey Wheat...I don't know what it is about wheat beers that drives breweries to add a crap ton of sugar and fruit to them. They are almost universally terrible.

Also this:

http://beerstreetjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/Shock-Top-Strawbanero-Wheat.jpg

Absolutely disgusting.

As much as I dislike BMC, to me it's fairly inoffensive watery swill. I won't buy it for myself but I'm not going to turn one down when offered.

On the other hand, I have to say Sam Adams Cherry Wheat has to be one of the most repulsive things I've ever had. Tastes like a mixture of Robitussin and candy sugar, just awful under attenuated syrupy mess. That and Blue Moon Honey Wheat...I don't know what it is about wheat beers that drives breweries to add a crap ton of sugar and fruit to them. They are almost universally terrible.

Also this:

http://beerstreetjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/Shock-Top-Strawbanero-Wheat.jpg

Absolutely disgusting.

Agreed 100%, it's not good, but it's not absolute swill like some other American standard lagers. It's also not loaded with offensive off flavors, and it's not trying to over-appeal to non beer drinkers(cough cough shock top)

On the other hand, I have to say Sam Adams Cherry Wheat has to be one of the most repulsive things I've ever had. Tastes like a mixture of Robitussin and candy sugar, just awful under attenuated syrupy mess.

Agree wholeheartedly about the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. Nasty, artificial cough-syrup cherry flavor! Just like Robitussin!

:rolleyes: 2300 posts late there sir.

I'll take this opportunity of sarcasm to reiterate Sam Adams White Christmas. Boston Lager + tincture of potpourri and butt sweat. Received a double pour from my buddy and I.

I'm sorry. Didn't know that I wasn't allowed to have the same opinion as somebody else.

Seconding Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I haven't had it since a keg party in college, but that stuff was terrible.

I had a friend that loved Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. Me not so much.

I'd have to say that my vote for worst commercial beer would be the ones that made it to me "not as designed". I have had infected, skunked and oxidized beers that were undrinkable from "Craft Breweries". So, a defective beer is much worse that a recipe that you may not agree with.

Lone Star....went to the brewery years ago....beer was free...since I didnt like the regular i stayed with Lone Star Light and it was like drinking club soda.

Anything Sam Adams, Coors and Bud products.
Local brewery makes this beer called King Cake Ale. Downright awful. Guess it's just me because they sell a lot of it with cinnamon sugar around the rim. Chicks buy it but my wife cant stand the stuff. Guess it all depends on the person. And the root beer crap. That stuff is horrible.

Agreed 100%, it's not good, but it's not absolute swill like some other American standard lagers. It's also not loaded with offensive off flavors, and it's not trying to over-appeal to non beer drinkers(cough cough shock top)

Anything ShockTop is just plain nasty. You can judge someone as a human being without even talking to them if they are drinking ShockTop. This actually holds true for many different beers. Think about all the conclusions you can draw by the beer you see someone buying. 🤔

Other great examples that speak volumes about someone as a human include Sam Adams, Leinenkugel, Pabst... even Heineken, Red Stripe, and Corona... trying to be all worldly. 🤓

Anything ShockTop is just plain nasty. You can judge someone as a human being without even talking to them if they are drinking ShockTop. This actually holds true for many different beers. Think about all the conclusions you can draw by the beer you see someone buying. 🤔

Other great examples that speak volumes about someone as a human include Sam Adams, Leinenkugel, Pabst... even Heineken, Red Stripe, and Corona... trying to be all worldly. 🤓

I mean....the regular shock top isn't as offensive as the rest of its line, still offensive, but I will admit to having a pint or two when I started drinking beer. I moved past that crap very quickly though.

Different strokes for different folks. I've enjoyed all those beers at one time or another. Most Shock Tops aren't for me, but I do enjoy the Pretzel from time to time. :tank:

903 Brewers Land of Milk and Honey. It is the first mircobrewery beer I have had to pour out. The beer is cloyingly sweet. They used way way too much lactose in it and not enough roasted malts to counter it. I would guess based on my own experiences they used 2 lbs of lactose per 5 gallons.

Different strokes for different folks. I've enjoyed all those beers at one time or another. Most Shock Tops aren't for me, but I do enjoy the Pretzel from time to time. :tank:

I second that. I found the pretzel one to be interesting and not to bad .That's the only one I have had that I enjoyed from them .The rest are very bland .

back home (netherlands) i'd drink heineken if it was on tap and i was being cheap, wouldn't pay premium for it in a foreign country though.

US heineken is different than here though, it's generally worse.

Haven't had the really bad US-branded stuff such as bud ice/light etc. they don't export those here :D

Worst recently was some store-brand "lager" from lidl....weird metallic flavour.

Boddingtons is swill. Even when cold it tastes like warm beer. Hard to explain. It's been like this every time. Natural Light is horrible (pretty much like every other light beer) and that was all anyone ever served in college. I find most domestic big brands to be low on my list.

Was given a 22 of Lagunitas Bitter Oats. Was terrible. Tried to give the rest to my buddies. After a sip each they handed it back. Waaaay to bitter, even for an IPA guy like me. One of maybe five commercial beers in my life I've poured out.

Miller Fortune. I dumped a whole bottle while boating Friday night, after one sip. Hopefully I can reused the bottle. Tasted like that time in college when I threw up beer through my nose after playing quarters with a guy in my dorm, who'd invited me to his off campus buddy's house mid day on a Friday...by 5P, we were blotto.

Railway City's Witty Traveller.

I bought two cans to try it out (I have a boot that holds just over 2 cans), and when I opened the first can, it exploded on me (after sitting in the basement for a day or so after purchase). I poured what was left of the foamy mess into the boot, and cleaned up my floor, desk, and keyboard. Once the foam had settled into a nice golden liquid, I drank it and immediately spat it back into the boot. A quick glance at the ingredient list showed coriander, but for some reason it didn't taste like that. I can't quite place the taste. I didn't like it.

Next day (today) I gave the second can to my roommate's boyfriend since I didn't like the first one, and this can also exploded as soon as it was opened (now we have a beery couch!), and he didn't swallow the first sip either. He couldn't place the taste, but he didn't like it either.

20160612_160749[1].jpg

+1 for Witty Traveller, it is terrible. I think they put white pepper in it, maybe that's the taste you couldn't place?

Anheuser-Busch Brewmaster's Reserve. Tasted like someone mixer rubbing alcohol with cat pee and carbonated it.

Anheuser-Busch Brewmaster's Reserve. Tasted like someone mixer rubbing alcohol with cat pee and carbonated it.

I didn't believe this was a real thing. Sounds like some sort of oxymoron. Sooooo I Googled it. Interesting... The "Bros" give it a 90!

hamms is the winner of this category, followed by the rest of the watery hop-less colorless tasteless lagers out there... But among them all Hamms Is NOT GOOD and they have to know it to sell them at $0.38 a can... The canning an box alone costs what? $0.22

I wish I could remember what it was, but I had a TERRIBLE sour in New York. It was my first sour ever, and it tasted like a shot of grenadine and a shot of Robitussin sunk in an overhopped muddy brown ale. Too sweet, too bitter, and too heavy all at the same time. It was couple years before I dared to try another sour, and found out there are good ones out there.

Have to say I've had 99% of the beers listed in this lengthy thread, from the old Red Cap to Stewart's Mountain Brew, Olympia, Stroh's, Rainier, Red Dog, Bud Dry, Hamm's, all of them are at least drinkable.

Genny 12 Horse Ale, joke was, "how do they get all 12 horses to pee in the same bottle" I actually liked that stuff.

Then you get down to less drinkable things like Golden Anniversary, Presidente, Lion's Head, some of the Mendocino offerings, etc. and they get harder to choke down.

I can recall some stuff from 35 years ago, Yuengling Beer (before the lager), Piel's Light I used to buy for 79 cents/six pack, and Schmidt's Bock Beer, Stegmaier before they cleaned up their act...some of that stuff was downright nasty.

But I'd rather drink any one of those than ever have another Coors Light.

Hmm. Nasty or just not great?

I like to take Kraftig Heavy down by the 30 pack. The Light isn't that good though.

It's been a while, and I very well could have gotten a skunk beer. I tried it at an old bowling alley in my small town that probably had one sample 6 pack from who knows when lol. I just wasn't a fan in the slightest from what I can remember.

I might have replied to this some time ago, but i will say a Colt 45 tall boy.
bought as a rider home. i had one hit, gaged on it, and tossed it out the window. goot shist... :mad:

At this point I'd say we have cover about 20% of all available beers on the market...people apparently suck at making beer, except homebrewers

I continue to be shocked at how many people on this thread have obviously never tried Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat.

Back