Worst brew day yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
I need to vent. I brewed a raspberry wheat yesterday. I hit my mash temp exactly, had a great sparge, and nothing stuck. When I started to boil, the wind picked up and stayed strong the entire boil. It actually blew out my flame and I didn't realize it at one point. I ended up running out of gas and tried to finish the full boil on my stove. I had 15 minutes left in the boils so I dropped my chiller in...it wouldn't come back up to a boil. I ended up cutting the last ten minutes off of the boil and chilled. I had an awesome cold break, but it all stirred back in when I tried to whirlpool. On the plus side I pitched a 1.5 L starter from my new stir plate and fermentation took off in four hours. I just hope that cutting the boil early and not having the chiller boil in the wort didn't ruin my beer.

We all have days like that-when is happens to me I just sit in my easy chair grab my Joy of Home Brewing book and Relax and have a Home Brew.

Mac you should be ok, it's a raspberry wheat beer. I'm sure it will be better than most of the commercial wheat/fruit beer. As for the wind issue, in a pinch I have used aluminum foil and duct tape to wrap my burn base when the weather makes it difficult to keep my burner lit.

Other than boil off and slight change in hop utilization you're probably ok. Even if you didn't boil the chiller if it went in at near boiling I would think it sanitized just fine

SwampassJ said:
Other than boil off and slight change in hop utilization you're probably ok. Even if you didn't boil the chiller if it went in at near boiling I would think it sanitized just fine

+1, you should be fine

Thanks for the reassurance. The fermentation took off like a rocket. I have it in a swamp cooler. Ambient temp is 68 but I keep changing ice packs in the cooler. It's going strong and has a wonderful banana aroma right now coming out of the sanitized container the blow off tube is running into.

I'm looking forward to this one:
5 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Pils
5 lbs Wheat
0.5 lbs carapils/dextrin
Mashed at 154 for 60 min.
WLP320 in a 1.5 L starter

I added two tablespoons of raspberry extract last 15 min of boil. I'll be adding more at kegging.

Update: kegged it today and it tasted great. It had this slight toasty flavor that I haven't had in a Hefeweizen before but I really like. I thought it tasted really unique. It's gotta be the Maris Otter. The banana/clove was subtle and I added 4.5 oz of Brewers Best Raspberry extract. I'll update again after a few days on the gas.

Back