Worried that my hydrometer reading was wrong...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New brewer freaking out a little bit here. I brewed a beer for a wort challenge. The OG of the wort was supposed to be 1.056. I added 1# of lactose preboil and 3# at 30 minutes (60 minute boil). How much should these additions have boosted my gravity? I know that the lactose is not fermentable. Any help would be GREAT!

Was this all grain or extract? If extract, how much did you have and how many gallons did you end up with at the end of the boil? If all grain how much of each grain and your volume at the end of the boil?

What did the OG end up being. 1lb of lactose in 5gal will equate to .006 points. So if you added 4 lbs total to a 5gal brew (assuming 5 gal batch) you should expect 0.024 points from the lactose alone. I will say, that is alot of lactose

1 lb lactose in a 5 gallon batch will add approx .007 to the gravity (very slightly more).

You really added 4 lbs?!? I don't know what wort a challenge is - are you really going to ferment it?

Oh sorry! I added 1# of lactose preboil. The 3# was Minnesota Clover honey! Sorry guys. The wort was provided by the brewery and they did not disclose the grain bill. They said that the gravity was 1.056. Preboil volume was 6.5 gallons and about 6 gallons went into primary.

Lactose adds about 36 points per lb, and honey about 33 per lb. the addition of all 4 lbs would add 135 points, or in 5 gallons would increase the gravity by .027

Back