Worried About My WLP005

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter_shoes_

Reaction score
Using WLP005 (english ale) in my brown ale right now, pitched it a little high at 86F, and although I got most of the yeast out I'm not sure I really got it all. I thought for a few days that it was not fermenting at all and I had killed the yeast. Started fermenting (I believe) about 36 hours after pitching, but it's been another 26 hours since then and it's not really fermenting as vigorously as I'm used to. There are almost no bubbles, and the krausen is kinda sparse. The airlock is bubbling about once every 20 seconds. This was my first time using a liquid yeast, and up to this point I have only ever used Lallemand London ale yeast, which is a dry yeast. That usually starts pretty vigorous fermentation within 10 hours of pitching. Should I be worried? I bought another packet of WLP005 and I was wondering if I should pitch that too?

You pitched high, but 86F won't kill the yeast. It's conceivable that it's actually finished attenuating. The only way to know for sure would be gravity readings. You say the krausen is sparse...is there a ring stuck to the sides above the surface of the beer?

You pitched high, but 86F won't kill the yeast. It's conceivable that it's actually finished attenuating. The only way to know for sure would be gravity readings. You say the krausen is sparse...is there a ring stuck to the sides above the surface of the beer?
So this is what it looks like now, I really don't think it's done attenuating as I pitched at 11 AM on Monday of this week.
File_001.jpeg
File_000.jpeg

So this is what it looks like now, I really don't think it's done attenuating as I pitched at 11 AM on Monday of this week.

Yeah, but... you pitched high and unless you brought the temps down pretty quickly, the fermentation should have been accelerated. That looks like a krausen has come and gone. What did the krausen look like before it fell?

Not saying it's done. Just saying it could be.

Thinking I should maybe pitch again? but idk

I'm generally a proponent of not solving problems unless I know they exist. I would take a gravity reading.

Yeah, but... you pitched high and unless you brought the temps down pretty quickly, the fermentation should have been accelerated. That looks like a krausen has come and gone. What did the krausen look like before it fell?

Not saying it's done. Just saying it could be.

I'm generally a proponent of not solving problems unless I know they exist. I would take a gravity reading.

There was a really thin bubbling layer, not as vigorous as I'm used to, but then again this is a pretty low gravity beer. Unfortunately I broke my instruments last time I was brewing so I cannot take a gravity reading.

There was a really thin bubbling layer, not as vigorous as I'm used to, but then again this is a pretty low gravity beer. Unfortunately I broke my instruments last time I was brewing so I cannot take a gravity reading.

I would visit my LHBS and buy a hydrometer. Or get one delivered fast (Amazon Prime maybe). A few more days won't hurt the beer even if it is finished already.

Or you can dump more yeast in. But that wouldn't be my approach, given that a hydrometer will be useful beyond this batch.

I'm with @VikeMan, you need to get a hydrometer so you can take a gravity reading.
What was the expected recipe's OG for this batch? Around 1.050?

It surely looks there was fermentation, but it may, or may not be finished.

BTW, what was the best by date on that pack of yeast?
Regardless of that date, when using liquid yeast, you really should make a starter. It proves viability while it builds more yeast cells.
Pitching one WL sleeve can be a bit skimpy.

Not 100% sure but I think I read wlp005 is the white labs single isolate version of Ringwood. What I’ve gathered is this strain can be finicky and relatively slow to get going. Has a monstrous appetite for oxygen too. I’ve read rousing this yeast does wonders in kicking things into gear. This is all from reading not from experience though so take that for what it’s worth!

I'm with @VikeMan, you need to get a hydrometer so you can take a gravity reading.
What was the expected recipe's OG for this batch? Around 1.050?

It surely looks there was fermentation, but it may, or may not be finished.

BTW, what was the best by date on that pack of yeast?
Regardless of that date, when using liquid yeast, you really should make a starter. It proves viability while it builds more yeast cells.
Pitching one WL sleeve can be a bit skimpy.
Do you figure I should pitch another? also it was best by like, this coming august so I'm good. The expected og was pretty low at around 1.040 or maybe a bit less.

I'd sanitize your turkey baster and take a small sample to taste it. If it tastes sweet, then yes pitch the additional PKG.
If it tastes mostly done, I'd give it a few more days.

So it tasted like pure malt, which I thought was a bit strange. Maybe a little alcohol but a very very strong malt taste. Like a malt tea. I pitched the other package.

So it tasted like pure malt, which I thought was a bit strange. Maybe a little alcohol but a very very strong malt taste. Like a malt tea. I pitched the other package.

So... what were you expecting a low ABV, uncarbonated, English Brown Ale to taste like? Yes, it's a rhetorical question. :)

Last edited:
I have a bitter using wlp005 in the FV that I brewed the sunday 28th, took the first gravity test this saturday but by then there had not been any signs of activity for a day or two already, it had gone from 1.047 to 1.010 in about 4 days so you are probably fine OP

I have a bitter using wlp005 in the FV that I brewed the sunday 28th, took the first gravity test this saturday but by then there had not been any signs of activity for a day or two already, it had gone from 1.047 to 1.010 in about 4 days so you are probably fine OP
word, also have you tried lallemand london for a bitter before? Literally insane. Finishes attenuating in a week and then if you leave it in for another week it cleans up byproducts crazy nice and produces the exact esters you want in a bitter. I think the strain even used to be called lallemand ESB lol.

word, also have you tried lallemand london for a bitter before? Literally insane. Finishes attenuating in a week and then if you leave it in for another week it cleans up byproducts crazy nice and produces the exact esters you want in a bitter. I think the strain even used to be called lallemand ESB lol.
Haven’t tried it, but it would be nice with a dry yeast that has enough complex character to be used in a lighter ale where yeast character is more detectable. I find dry english yeasts to be sufficient for darker styles where the malt makes the esters more subtle but not really enough for bitters, strong ales etc. How is the attenuation on that one? I think 002 leaves a finished beer that is slightly too sweet for my taste.

Haven’t tried it, but it would be nice with a dry yeast that has enough complex character to be used in a lighter ale where yeast character is more detectable. I find dry english yeasts to be sufficient for darker styles where the malt makes the esters more subtle but not really enough for bitters, strong ales etc. How is the attenuation on that one? I think 002 leaves a finished beer that is slightly too sweet for my taste.
attenuation was amazing on my end, weirdly enough the thing that came through the most with that yeast (besides malt character, it's a british dry strain) was water chemistry character. So that's something to look out for.

attenuation was amazing on my end, weirdly enough the thing that came through the most with that yeast (besides malt character, it's a british dry strain) was water chemistry character. So that's something to look out for.
I’ll have to try it, I don’t really exceed 120mg/L in any minerals so in that aspect I should be good.

Back