Worried about 1st homebrew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo

Reaction score
Hey. I made my first batch tonight and I'm kinda worried about it. I just need to know what beer is "supposed" to look like after you cool it and put it into the carboy. I used 2 oz pellet hops (without a hop bag), 1 whirlfloc tab, and a yeast starter. After cooling and putting the wort into the carboy, I noticed it was full of suspended sediment, like a lot. Now, because this is my first time, It's entirely possible that I contaminated something, but maybe it's supposed to have stuff floating in it before you pitch the yeast, I dunno.
So, what is "healthy" beer supposed to look like before, and after you pitch the yeast?
Thanks. oh, p.s. I did use a strainer to get the beer into the carboy, but I don't know much hops I pulled out, looked like a lot to me...

It looks ugly and weird so your first brew sounds just right. Junk floats around in there for days while it's fermenting and then settles to the bottom. Take a deep breath and leave your beer alone for a few weeks.

The problem is you cant believe you did it right. Trust us. It will be fine. So you have to just relax and believe in yourself. You did a good job!

Yaaay! lol. The crap in there is starting to sink to the bottom, I guess that's "trub". I was just a little freaked out cause there was so much "stuff" in there, but I did swirl the carboy like crazy trying to aerate it before pitching the yeast, so that probably pulled all the floaties to the outside of the carboy. Thanks a lot, as long as it's supposed to look funky at first, I'm gonna relax and have a beer, while waiting on my beer... :)

I was worried about my first homebrew. I was worried that I would drink it all in 2 days. All the crap will settle to the bottom. I have come to realize from wine making and beer making that is more difficult to contaminate if you sterilize everything. Have made wine for couple of year and 5 batches of beer, no contamination yet.

Back