World of Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allentwnguy

Reaction score
The Buffalo area is getting a World of Beer Tavern/Store, I've never been to one so I don't know which is more accurate. Pulling from an available 8,000 beers each store carries like 500 bottles from 40 countries and have 50 beers on tap. There's well over 50 taps within a 3 minute walk from my house not including the 4 here but this place sounds interesting. Has anyone visited one of the World of Beer franchises?

I've been to the one in Dallas. It's not really close to me, so I don't go all that often. It has a good selection but I like the atmosphere of my local bars better. That could also vary by location though.

I've been to the one in Dallas. It's not really close to me, so I don't go all that often. It has a good selection but I like the atmosphere of my local bars better. That could also vary by location though.

Yeah ditto on that. This one is going into the Galleria Mall, which is your classic mall and something I haven't been in for countless years. I believe it will have an "outside" entrance as well as one in the mall but still...

I love world of beer. Great selection. Food is good but pretty limited in terms of selection. Whatever I've had has been great. I'm a club member, $15 got me a t-shirt and membership. They have a very nice iOS app and I can almost plan my drinking day there from the comfort of my couch in the morning. :D

They just opened one not too far from my place. I stopped in and grabbed a growler last weekend. I can definitely see myself doing some hanging out there soon.

Malls around NE Ohio have been dying off for years. The mom & pop stores are slowly returning to favor. Good thing, since that's all we had when I was a kid were mom & pop specialty stores. Wish we had something like that around here that wouldn't take an hour+ to drive to.

Malls around NE Ohio have been dying off for years. The mom & pop stores are slowly returning to favor. Good thing, since that's all we had when I was a kid were mom & pop specialty stores. Wish we had something like that around here that wouldn't take an hour+ to drive to.

Hey Union good to hear from you again! When it opens I may go to see if they have any of the odd ball "heavy hitters" that you can't see to get your hands on. And it is good to see the mom and pops coming back. The big box stores just don't take care of a neighborhood's needs. They carry what the make the best profit margin on and that's it.

I've been to the WoBs in DC (Ballston area) and another in Savannah. The one in DC had menus from a ton of local restaurants that would just deliver to you at the bar, which I thought was pretty cool. The one in Savannah had "to go" cups since you're allowed open containers as long as you stay within the Historic District of the down town.

Have to say I enjoyed my experience at both venues. They both had decent local selections and a stellar choice of more obscure brews I hadn't seen before or in a long time. Being on per diem with continental breakfast and no lunch break made the wallet sting considerably less- but they're not exhorbantly (spelling?) over priced either way.

I'm a WoB Loyalty Member as well. Got up to 250 unique beers consumed before the place got a little too crowded for my tastes.

That said they carry an amazing selection as they are exclusively a beer bar, and are constantly having awesome events. Last night my local WoB had a Terrapin take over with some interesting stuff out of a cask.

I stop by the WoB in Evanston when I'm up there on weekends sometimes, and I like it a lot. That particular one is heavily populated by college students, but the beer selection is fabulous and (for me) well offsets the crowds. I have also never had a difficult time having a conversation with the people at my table there, which is WAY more than I can say for some places a little closer to me (who decided that people in bars must want to listen to crappy music blasted over an over-worked PA system?).

We just had a world of beer here close. It's a 20 minute drive to Sheffield.

Damn shame. My wife and I were there once a week.

I echo the statements about being able to have a conversation, that was truly a great aspect of going there. Could meet up with a half dozen friends, and we could actually talk, imagine that!

They were also pretty well lit, I hate going in to a bar that looks like a vampires lair, makes me wonder what you are trying to hide.

Beer selection was phenomenal.

I cried a little bit on the inside when it closed. It was a midnight move also. Literally, a moving truck showed up one night at closing, no prior warning. Not even for employees. That was kinda shtty on their part.

I've been to one in Denver and have a friend that cooks at another. The denver location has some great staff and treated us so well when we went on an off night. Great beer selection.

We just had a world of beer here close. It's a 20 minute drive to Sheffield.

Damn shame. My wife and I were there once a week.

I echo the statements about being able to have a conversation, that was truly a great aspect of going there. Could meet up with a half dozen friends, and we could actually talk, imagine that!

They were also pretty well lit, I hate going in to a bar that looks like a vampires lair, makes me wonder what you are trying to hide.

Beer selection was phenomenal.

I cried a little bit on the inside when it closed. It was a midnight move also. Literally, a moving truck showed up one night at closing, no prior warning. Not even for employees. That was kinda shtty on their part.
I wish I'd have known that. I'd like to see a place with that many beers on hand. We don't have much around here. But Giant Eagle keeps a good beer cooler. Bundy's Beverage is OK, but I don't think it's quite as good as Giant Eagle across the street.

Don't you have a Winking Lizard fairly nearby? There's one in Avon, but haven't been to that one.

When we're in the area, we usually visit the one in Macedonia. I think they have at least 40 taps of craft.

Glad to hear malls are dying off finally. They've taken over society.

Don't you have a Winking Lizard fairly nearby? There's one in Avon, but haven't been to that one.

When we're in the area, we usually visit the one in Macedonia. I think they have at least 40 taps of craft.

Glad to hear malls are dying off finally. They've taken over society.

The Winking Lizard is on Detroit Rd in Westlake. Was the last time I went by to JW Dover anyway. It took over this great Italian/Sicilian restaurant that had a blues/jazz bar downstairs. That was a real shame. Great food & music. We were talking to the owner at dinner one afternoon upstairs (restaurant) & he told us about a Sicilian buddy that came over to visit & taught him some recipes, like the great chiappini we were having. This almond rice side dish he did was really good, albeit unusual for the way it was seasoned & prepared.

We have a WoB near downtown Baltimore (Fort McHenry area). It's a bit of a drive but we'll check it out soon since my wife keeps mentioning it. And they have parking!

Then downtown there are so many other craft beer choices (e.g., Max's Taphouse with 140 taps and 2000 bottles, Ale Wife, Ale Mary, Brewer's Art).

The Winking Lizard is on Detroit Rd in Westlake. Was the last time I went by to JW Dover anyway. It took over this great Italian/Sicilian restaurant that had a blues/jazz bar downstairs. That was a real shame. Great food & music. We were talking to the owner at dinner one afternoon upstairs (restaurant) & he told us about a Sicilian buddy that came over to visit & taught him some recipes, like the great chiappini we were having. This almond rice side dish he did was really good, albeit unusual for the way it was seasoned & prepared.

Yeah, that's a shame, I think I heard about that happening, before. Do you think the Lizard pushed them out or Italian was just not fashionable and lucrative anymore?

Yeah, that's a shame, I think I heard about that happening, before. Do you think the Lizard pushed them out or Italian was just not fashionable and lucrative anymore?

I cannot say for certain that they did not push the italian joint out, but I can say that the Lizards around here are fairly successful and have probably built more new lizards/lizardvilles, than rehabbing old spaces. There is usually a lot of baggage with taking over an existing spaces, most of it negative.

And on a side note, the lizard in Avon, is a new build. The old one was down the road, in an old big house type building, I never remember it as an old italian restaurant. I think it used to be an old dive bar "millers road house"

Full disclaimer: lizard is another bar I try to make it to once a week or so, as they have a nice selection, so I am probably biased.

I cannot say for certain that they did not push the italian joint out, but I can say that the Lizards around here are fairly successful and have probably built more new lizards/lizardvilles, than rehabbing old spaces. There is usually a lot of baggage with taking over an existing spaces, most of it negative.

And on a side note, the lizard in Avon, is a new build. The old one was down the road, in an old big house type building, I never remember it as an old italian restaurant. I think it used to be an old dive bar "millers road house"

Full disclaimer: lizard is another bar I try to make it to once a week or so, as they have a nice selection, so I am probably biased.

Yeah, the italian place/lizard was a big old house. Kinda fancy house in it's day. The Lizard's were getting popular, thanks to WMMS advertising them & doing nights out there. so I think they pushed the Italian place out...maybe the city agreed, thinking they'd get more out of it too? We went there years ago now, it's been awhile since the lizard took over...maybe 20 years or so? The bar downstairs was the old garage/carriage house. They opened the big door in warm weather. Blues & jazz flowed out at those times.

I think they are great. I travel to Tampa a few times a year and always go to them there. Great selection. I'm very happy one is opening in Buffalo since that's where I'm from and I go back to visit a few times a year. And that's 10 mins from my parent's house.

We are supposed to be getting one in Cincinnati in March, but I haven't heard anything else about since they announced it, so I'm not holding my breathe.

Back