Workspace suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzybee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to move my brewing from an outside 3-vessel propane system to one of Bobby's eBIAB systems in the garage. I've tried to find a good stainless workbench to support it, but I can't seem to find one short enough - I was figuring about 24" maximum height. What are you all using?

I built a small table. Bought a small piece of butcher's block and some wood from Home Depot, and it's great.

Not sure if it's something you're willing or able to do?

Don't mind the goop on the kettle, it's since been scraped and cleaned. This picture actually convinced me to do a big old clean of the whole area.

I also have the kettle on a big stainless serving tray, not shown in this picture.

IMG_4564.jpg

Yessir. It's actually loosely based off Bobby's eBiab system, just parted together myself. There are some differences in parts used, but overall the idea is as close as I could get with the stuff I had without ordering a ton of new stuff.

If I remember correctly, the table legs are 28", so it probably sits at 30"-ish total. I can measure tonight. I wouldn't go any tall than what I have. For reference the corny keg fits underneath with a few inches to spare at 25" tall, but I need to angle it to get under the lip.

I've been very happy with it. I like that it's roughly the same height as the sink and the freezer/ferm chamber on each side. I do need a small stool when squeezing/removing the bag but I'd still need that unless it were several inches shorter. Also, any shorter and I wouldn't be able to store the buckets underneath.

Wouldn't change a thing if I were doing all over.

IMG_8850.jpg

My BIAB kettle sits about 4" off the garage floor. 2x4 plus some plywood and silicone insulator pad.

I have not found any motivation to raise it up any higher. I got a pump that gets my chilled wort into my fermenting vessel just fine.

My BIAB kettle sits about 4" off the garage floor. 2x4 plus some plywood and silicone insulator pad.

I have not found any motivation to raise it up any higher. I got a pump that gets my chilled wort into my fermenting vessel just fine.
I'm actually looking right now at a water heater stand. I just need to make sure it gives me enough height to let the steam slayer drip into the sink.

Last edited:
Search for "equipment stand" or "utility stand" instead of table to find shorter units. I use a 24" high stainless equipment stand 24 x 36 for induction BIAB outdoors. It has one shelf for things like mash paddle, ingredients, e.t.c.

I don't think I will need gravity - I should be able to use the pump for everything, right?

Am I missing a case where I would have to use gravity?

Typically you use gravity to get the wort out of your kettle into your fermenting vessel. You have a pump to do that.

The only height needed is enough gravity and drop to prime the pump.

I experimented and I can get way with some 2x4 and plywood, ~ 4".. (Cheap to build as well) I do not like lifting stuff. I do like being able to look down into the kettle.

Recycling this thread since I finally have gotten contractors out to give me estimates for electrical and plumbing.

Here's what I currently have mocked up (obviously not to exact scale). I am open to swapping the sink and eBIAB system, but I don't want the sink to go too far to the left because the laundry room where the plumbing will be piped off is behind that area. The door to the house is to the right of the sink in this image. The workspace will occupy however much linear footage I have between the ferm freezer and the eBIAB (or sink).

brew area.png

I am having trouble visualizing my faucet(s) in this scenario. I'd like to have a faucet for the sink, but also have a spigot (probably cold only) for filling the eBIAB, feeding my steam slayer, and feeding the immersion chiller. What are y'all's thoughts on this layout?

I'd hoped to drain the Steam Slayer into the sink, but it may need to go into a bucket.

I also trimmed the legs on my SS brew stand myself. Can't say it will always be an option based on the table design. If you consider doing it, be sure to check the top and bottom of the leg as the leg may have integral components for the feet so you would want to cut the top.

I use a laundry sink faucet ,they have garden hose threads so i put on a quick disconnect and got a replacement spray hose at HD and put a QD on it and my bottle washer. The cold water pipe got 2 tees with valves,one for the chiller and one for the RO unit.

Recycling this thread since I finally have gotten contractors out to give me estimates for electrical and plumbing.

Here's what I currently have mocked up (obviously not to exact scale). I am open to swapping the sink and eBIAB system, but I don't want the sink to go too far to the left because the laundry room where the plumbing will be piped off is behind that area. The door to the house is to the right of the sink in this image. The workspace will occupy however much linear footage I have between the ferm freezer and the eBIAB (or sink).

View attachment 768707

I am having trouble visualizing my faucet(s) in this scenario. I'd like to have a faucet for the sink, but also have a spigot (probably cold only) for filling the eBIAB, feeding my steam slayer, and feeding the immersion chiller. What are y'all's thoughts on this layout?

I'd hoped to drain the Steam Slayer into the sink, but it may need to go into a bucket.

Would installing a pot filler faucet above it while doing the plumbing work?

What is a”steam slayer”? I have never the term before. I have been an extract brewer and want to give BIAB a try, instead of the expense of a HLT, Mash tun, etc. Will a propane burner work?

I am late to the party.. but I found this is a perfect brew table. Its very very strong (the picture on the website is deceiving) and the best part is the adjustability. The $129 price tag is easy to deal with as well.

You can buy this unit, and split it into two separate units (bonus!) - The vertical support posts are actually two pieces that you screw together.. You can use the wheels on one half if you want portability, or just use the feet on the floor. I use the wheels as I roll the cart into the center of the shop.. and after roll it back to the wall for storage.

Of course you can adjust the height of the shelves to your liking. and once you have it figured you can shorten the vertical poles in the shelving to not be in the way.. I find leaving a few inches above the top shelf to be useful to hang things on etc.. and of course I can raise the shelf in the future if I desire.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/5-tier-shelving-36in-x-24in-x-72in/prod20641243

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-10-25 18-24-32.png
    Screenshot from 2022-10-25 18-24-32.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot from 2022-10-25 18-25-18.png
    Screenshot from 2022-10-25 18-25-18.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Back