working with vanilla beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heckofagator

Reaction score
I've read several threads but still am a bit confused.

I see that people split them and scrape the insides. And then soak in vodka or something to help with the extract and sterilization.

Are you just using the outside of the bean at that point? do you throw away all of the middle stuff? Or is that used, too?

The middle stuff is what you want. Toss that in some vodka to dissolve the flavors

EDIT: You could just split it and toss the whole thing in if you want.

ok, thanks for the clarification. That's exactly what I was wondering.

yeah, think I'll just split, soak in alcohol, and dump in the whole thing.

I split, scrape then chop into 1" pieces & toss the lot in just enough plain vodka sealed in a small jar during primary.

Could I do this with whiskey or is the vodka a better choice for extracting the vanilla flavour?

Vodka is better since it's a neutral spirit. Unless you want whiskey flavor in your beer that is.

In reality whiskey is a neutral spirit until it's aged in a barrel. Clear whiskey in gallon milk jugs would work :D

Either vodka or Grain alcohol, " white lightnin'" sold in liquor stores will do if you don't want liquor flavor.

In an airtight jar during primary. That is to say, sitting on my desk while primary fermentation is going on & finishing up. I strain the resulting tincture/liquid into the priming solution & add it that way.

In an airtight jar during primary. That is to say, sitting on my desk while primary fermentation is going on & finishing up. I strain the resulting tincture/liquid into the priming solution & add it that way.

That makes WAY more sense...thanks for clarifying that.

The grocery store cheap vodka works fine, but takes awhile to dissolve the pasty innards of the beans. Crystal/grain alcohol might work faster? And the vanilla beans are the same size/color as celery seed, so they go right through my fine-mesh strainer. A coffee filter in a funnel works better at keeping them out of the priming solution for me.

I made a simple syrup infused with vanilla beans. I let is soak foe a week, strained it, then used the syrup instead of priming sugars. Perfect amount of vanilla flavor in my nut brown.

Yeah, I like the way vanilla tincture works in the priming solution. It just seemed like the best way to get the freshest vanilla flavor infused.:mug:

Latest posts

Back