Working on my first recipe (a mild)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarlyBirdBrew

Reaction score
So a new brewery in town, Jester King, has a Oak barrell aged Mild that the SWMBO loves and I am somewhat fond of. So I figured I would work out my own recipe and see what happens. Here is what I have so far (Partial Mash):

3lbs DME
1LB Marris Otter
.75LB Crystal Malt 60L
8oz Belgian Caramel Pils
8oz German Chocolate Wheat
4oz Belgian Biscuit Malt

1oz Goldings @ 60 Mins
White Labs Nottingham Ale (WLP039)

My main question is do you think that the chocolate wheat is just to out of place or might throw everything off? Any other suggestions?

Please be gentle as this is my first attempt at a recipe and only my 7th batch.

If you're using light malt extract, I find that 8 oz of chocolate malt in a 5.5 gallon recipe is pleasant for a dark mild. 8oz of pale chocolate malt is a good option if you're worried about it being too much or too harsh tasting.

Midfielder5..any reason on why no wheat?

I generally lean towards darker beers, that's why I chose DME over LME.

Wheat really isn't to style -but it could a nice twist. If you added it for head retention I would exclude using it, as English beers are generally lightly carbonated and usually don't have much for head - besides the crystal malts in the recipe should do a good enough job for that anyway.

From their website...

The base beer, Commercial Suicide, is a blend of 70% dark mild and 30% dark mild aged in medium toast, Kentucky oak barrels (new barrels, not whiskey). At 3.3% ABV, we set out to pack as much flavor as possible into a true session ale. The malted barley and hops in the beer are all English. Here are the ingredients and specs on the base beer:

OG: 1.041
FG: 1.016
IBU: 18
ABV: ~3.3%
SRM: 18
Malts: Crisp Maris Otter, Crisp Brown, Simpsons Caramalt, Simpsons Extra Dark Crystal, Crisp Pale Chocolate
Hops: East Kent Golding
Yeast: English Dry Ale

Nice...I guess I could have check their website myself, ha. I'm not horribly off with my recipe, I did want to add some of my own touches as well. That's why I thought of the wheat chocolate. Hopefully I can nail this down and have a brew day on Sunday.

I said to ditch the wheat bc I doubted it was in the commercial brew; and, it is normally not in milds (thus not to 'style' as another mentioned).

It is tempting at first (I did it) to add a bunch of different grains/ processes-- what the hell, right?!
but as Palmer says in his book, discretion is the better part of valour.
good luck!

Midfielder5..any reason on why no wheat?

I generally lean towards darker beers, that's why I chose DME over LME.

Wait a minute - I just want to make sure we're clear here:

DME = Dried Malt Extract
LME = Liquid Malt Extract

Both of these come in "light," "medium," and "dark."

Something in your wording suggests you think DME is "dark malt extract." I would not use a dark extract in this beer considering all the other specialty grains you're putting in.

Back