Working on a low cal IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
My friends an I are trying to create a flavorful, lo-cal IPA that doesnt taste watery with ABV not dropping lower that 4%.

Using Brewers friend and trying to use mostly ingredients we have on hand i can only get the calories down to about 128 and the abv is at 3.96.

Ive noticed changing my yeast can have a significant effect on my abv. California ale for example yields a higher abv than English ale or London fog (2 of which we use often)

I also notice White Labs makes a Super High Gravity yeast which would boost the ABV up above 4% but Im not sure how well it would play with the rest of the ingredients.

If anyone has some input on my recipe on how I can get the results Im looking for I would appreciate any feedback you can give.
Thanks.

1620134090867.png

Most breweries that make low-cal IPA's use amyloglucosidase enzyme to ferment out the available sugars. This way the calories are almost entirely coming from the alcohol itself. The higher ABV will add more to the impression of body than a few points of SG. Limit crystal malts but use high dextrine malts, mash low (145-147F) and use the enzyme. You can use whatever yeast you want and dry hop during end of fermentation. A good starting point is 8P OG, 1.000 FG, for 4.0% abv and ~100 calories. Some non-cal sweeteners can be used, but I don't like the flavor they impart. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. great stuff.- when do you normally add the enzymes? During fermentation? Beginning or end? I was only adding Crystal malt because I read it would help give some body and mouthfeel to the beer. What is a high dextrine malt I could use instead - besides Chit malt - cant find that.
I might skip the monkfruit. I do enjoy a sweetness to my beer but I dont really want to take the risk of adding it to an 11 gal batch and not liking the flavor.
I hate fake sugar but while I was on Keto, Monkfruit and Swerve were the only 2 I could tolerate. Swerve was actually really good. but not sure if its non fermentable.

Back